Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tacos al pastor

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I couldn't see the pics when I opened this thread in the morning, but I can now. Bravo, sir! The step by step pictorial made me feel like I was there... until I realized that you had amazing tacos al pastor to eat and I didn't.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Thanks @caliking lots of comments about pictures and viewing them on the forum this morning. I post from my macbook and have been able to view and post from that and my phone so I haven't seen it, yet. Glad they are working now. It was a fun cook, I can make some for the egghead pool party at your place so you can enjoy them next time!  B-) 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Solson005
    @NDG would this spit setup work for you? Your post a couple weeks ago brought this to the front of my mind and when I saw this I went for it. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Wow just WoW! Looks great.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Incredible cook @Solson005.  I had to wait until the work day was done so I could take in all the pictures ;).  

I am gonna have to get one of those pineapple slicers.  That is a clever gadget. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Solson005
    @danjamd Thanks it was a fun day and turned out awesome! 

@SmokeyPitt there are lots of pictures but I think it helps explain the process just seeing one doesn't really show how awesome this was. Glad you checked back in after work.  The pineapple slicer is awesome, I make Pineapple rum chicken quite often and once you use this you won't want to carve up a pineapple again. The handle pops off so you can slide it off as rings or I like to run the knife when its like that and cut it up all at once. 
    :D
  • mteele
    mteele Posts: 48
    I must have gotten Rick Bayless into your head last week, and this is the result! LOL looks great! I have not seen the orange recipe before so I will check that out. Which books of his do you own?

Look into getting a Vitamix blender.....really can do some fun things with it, and it makes getting a more uniform marinade/sauce so much better than your average blender. We got one 2-3 months ago and its well worth the investment for us already. Especially the frozen margaritas!! 
  • Solson005
    @mteele I always have some Rick Bayless recipe floating around my head, I have Mexican Everyday which is really good for quick weeknight meals that are fast and delicious. Mexico One Plate at a Time which is based off his PBS television show. Fiesta at Ricks is a great book that I will be using more once it is nice outside to throw some parties and his new book Frontera: Margaritas, Guacamoles, and Snacks. is the first in a 4 part series that goes into the stories of him and his restaurants so its more than just recipes. I guess it would have been easier to list what books I don' t have.. 

The grilled garlic and orange guacamole is awesome and my goto one I make for parties. I'm going to be snowed in tomorrow so I'm making his Sopa Azteca (tortilla soup) tomorrow. 

A vitamix is on my radar, I just can't really justify the cost right now. I know how great they are but my Waring is still working fine for now. I joked with my friends when we went to the state fair the best food I had was the tortilla soup demo I got from the vitamix booth. 

Thanks!
  • Good stuff.  I love how the bar gets raised on this forum every couple of days with posts like this. Or the bar moves sideways into the unexpected. Or sometimes the bar moves lower, but never less entertaining!
    Mamaroneck
  • One of......if not "THE" best posts I've ever seen.  I think I'll go take the burgers off the mini and throw 'em in the lake!
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Great job Solson!
    I'm with Caliking on being there mentally but, not getting to eat.
    Wow

Boomer!
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Solson005
    edited February 2013
    Thank you @Mama_Roneck I love getting new ideas of creative cooks From the forum and try to come up with good posts others can use all or a portion of for themselves. 

Well thanks @rustypotts now I just need to get a place by the lake to cook at :D 

Thanks @Logger maybe sometime this summer we can have a mini eggfest with some OKC eggheads or just go down to @calikings for a pool party..
  • So r u an OU fan?
  • Solson005
    Yes I am @bvanma28
  • I wonder if anyone else caught that
  • Solson005
    @bvanma28 I made a post on saturday talking about New handle and gasket change for the Small BGE Griffin caught it and was giving me a hard time since he is from Texas. @Logger saw that post and I just noticed his Boomer in his reply. I've talked about my game day cooks and the ups and downs of the season so some people have picked up on that through my postings. 

Sooner! sorry just saw that part 

Are you a fan or just have a good eye for detail?
  • I think ive read this cook ten times today! really glad you posted it so in depth so i can steal it! 

XLBGE 
  • Solson005
    @MrCookingNurse once I found that turkey stand I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I think tomorrow I'm just going to make more tortillas and make quesadillas with the leftovers. It was so good and a fun cook. I'm glad I was able to find a simple way of doing it. Best $6.99 I've spent in awhile.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Epic post Solson005! That looks like a lot of work but I bet it was rewarding. =D>
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Solson005
    Thanks @R2Egg2Q the time consuming part was the tortillas, salsas, and guacamole. Just the pork was pretty straight forward and well worth the effort!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Bookmarked this thread. There's only so many great Mexican recipes and books and ideas for cooks that I can take.

And don't think I didn't catch the not-so-subtle references to a pool party over here...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bvanma28
    bvanma28 Posts: 57
    edited February 2013
    Both. did u do the wood work yourself?
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Phenomenal!
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Solson005 said:
    @danjamd Thanks it was a fun day and turned out awesome! 

@SmokeyPitt there are lots of pictures but I think it helps explain the process just seeing one doesn't really show how awesome this was. Glad you checked back in after work.  The pineapple slicer is awesome, I make Pineapple rum chicken quite often and once you use this you won't want to carve up a pineapple again. The handle pops off so you can slide it off as rings or I like to run the knife when its like that and cut it up all at once. 
    I enjoyed every pic, thanks for taking the time to post them all! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Solson005
    @caliking oh you caught that? I'm trying to create a demand for the pool party so it actually happens.  <:-P

@bvanma28 no it was made by Danny's Carvings a guy that makes handles for lots of Eggheads. Mine were a little different than most of what people ask for and he was very easy to work with me. image
    and here is the one from my large egg.
  • Solson005
    edited February 2013
    @500 thank you, it was a fun cook.

@SmokeyPitt sure no problem, I love checking out other posts with pictures so I tried to take as many as I could to show how great this cook was! 
  • Wow!  Great pics and narrative.  Everything looks great.  Need to find a CI Comal, I just use one of the cheap ones from the market.  That CI one looks perfect.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Solson005
    edited February 2013
    Thank you @SoCal_Griller I found it on sale and couldn't pass it up. We use it for all sorts of things on the egg. 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I know this post is super old . . . but wow!  I am going to make AL PASTOR Tacos this weekend - and bumped into this gem of a post.  Figured a lil bump never hurt anyone - right?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    That is so very cool. Great way to spend a day, thanks for the detailed documentation.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA