Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Bird is the Word

500 Posts: 3,177
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
Just started a boneless turkey for sliced lunchmeat. 300* indirect plate setter, mustard slather, salt, pepper, Dizzy Pig Raging River, small hickory chunk. Looking for 160*. Will slice tomorrow.
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    That's what I had for lunches last week well mine was Shakin the Tree. No more deli counter for me. Is this the first test of the new slicer?
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • How long will it stay good for?  Are you vacuum sealing or freezing any of it?  Looks good!
  • I did 2 of them last week.  They really are great, I vacuumed and froze a couple pounds, and had the rest in the fridge for about a week.  I ate Turkey sandwiches for a week.  No artificial crap, and a lot lower sodium than the processed stuff. I injected mine, and they were super juicy.  
  • Love that tune....The Trashmen?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

2 hours in and at 145*. I sliced a mini ham as the first slicer go round. That ham was so much better than the over processed stuff in the little plastic tubs. The Trashmen -Surfin' Bird http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184&desktop_uri=/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184
    Member since 2009
  • I got a question, this looks like a blast to me but how does the cost play out? Not including the slicer, is it cheaper to smoke and slice your own or buy deli meat? not the stuff in the cooler, the stuff you ask them to slice for you.

XLBGE 
  • The cost is less in my neck of the woods for fresh turkey breast, smoked and then sliced vs either the prepackaged sodium slices or the deli counter stuff. My local delis still have the mystery meat rounds called turkey, it is nothing like the real thing. Freeze in foodsaver bags, always have a sammie meat open. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
    This was Kroger's Private Selection brand. It was $9.50 for 3#, so $3.16 a pound. The plastic tub stuff is about $3 for 9 oz. I bumped it up to about 350 for the last half hour. Took 2 1/2 hours to get to 160. I immediately wrapped it in plastic wrap and foil. Resting on the counter for a few minutes then in the cold box tonight.
    Member since 2009
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited February 2013
    Costco also carries whole cooked turkey breast that's pretty good and has no additives etc. $3.99 lb here we slice to usee every few days.

Deli Turkey here is $7-8 for cheap stuff up to $12. I never buy deli meat way to expensive for my budget unless its on sale. Slicer and cooking or costco whole is much cheaper.
    Seattle, WA
  • ok, another question.  Ive seen the little breast bags, but then there is another bag labeled turkey breast exact same label but the bag is like 5 times as big. What is that?

XLBGE 
  • SkinnyV
    I can't answer that but the ones you are going to cook I think always. One shaped like u see here or other threads, with the netting. I've yet to cook one since the Costco comes cooked at similar price with no shrinkage etc to deal with.
    Seattle, WA
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    ok, another question.  Ive seen the little breast bags, but then there is another bag labeled turkey breast exact same label but the bag is like 5 times as big. What is that?
    probably bone in, usually has a little bit of the wings and neck skin with 
    That would be my guess.  The big ones are the full breast, bone in, both sides.  The small ones are boneless, one-half breast.  I imagine they are netted for uniform cooking.
    Member since 2009
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448

Those are great, been seeing quite a few of them around here. Makes a great lunch option during the week.

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Coming in way late here but I tried and whole butter ball sytle turkey on my egg and it had a funning taste we threw out a 12 pound bird because we did not like the flavor. I did not use any spices on it just cooked indirect until it was done. Please help me solve this problem as I want to try the breast but have to convince wife. They look awesome on here and you all seem to love them.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    What type of lump? I've cooked whole turkeys twice with no smoke taste; my lump is relatively clean, but it's a brand you can't get everywhere. Perhaps others can chime in about commonly available lump that burns clean. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • six_egg
    I have tried 3 or 4 types but for the value based on what I can get BGE lump is my choice.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

six_egg said:
    Coming in way late here but I tried and whole butter ball sytle turkey on my egg and it had a funning taste we threw out a 12 pound bird because we did not like the flavor. I did not use any spices on it just cooked indirect until it was done. Please help me solve this problem as I want to try the breast but have to convince wife. They look awesome on here and you all seem to love them.
    Did you have a clean burn on the lump?  My first chicken was bad because the VOC gasses had not burned off yet.
    Member since 2009
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2013
    @six_egg, did you have a stable clean burning egg, temp target 350 (between 325-375), indirect with a drip pan, and a spatched turkey? If not, try it. The egg is basically acting as an oven and the smoke is minimal. If the temp drops below 300, there will be more lump smoke, regardless of brand. Rub the bird or leave it plain, I recommend some corn starch and oil to crisp the skin a bit. 
    Good luck.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited February 2013
    500 said:
    My kids went through a three week period where they could not stop talking about that family guy episode or singing like the dad does in the show.  It was really annoying.  They're lucky to still be alive. =))
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • six_egg
    edited February 2013
    Thank you 500 and Skiddymarker for help. I did cook it indirect at 325 to 350. It is the one and only time we did not like the taste. I let the smoke go to the blueish white color. I did not pay attention to the whole cook time. I used my digiq. I set it for 350. I wait for it to beep then i pull the food off. I have to try it again. I love turkey Sammies

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

Sliced it tonight. Very light smoke taste. Not quite as moist as I would like also. Next time I think I'll brine and add more hickory smoke. All in all still better than the plastic tub.
    Member since 2009
  • SkinnyV
    Nice work like i mentioned above this is good for when you dont want to cook but use the slicer.

$3.99 lb here in seattle.

Seattle, WA