Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for BBQ Controller Owners?

Options
I have mostly used my Stoker for low and slow cooks but lately have been using it for higher dome temp cooks...up to 375. I stick the Pitt probe in the dome thermometer hole and let it control the Eggs temp. I was wondering if others have tried it, it sure makes monitoring the cook easier because I can monitor the temp from anywhere in the house. I have had no luck with any of the Maverick remote thermometers staying connected when I bring them in the house. Thanks, Bill

Comments

• meister5
    Options
    Just picked up a stoker on a recent trip to California. Haven't had a chance to try it yet but thanks for the idea of putting it in the dome thermometer hole. I am going to try that one for sure.
    Meadow Lake Sk. LBGE, Stoker, Adjustable rig.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I've clipped my digiQ to the back of the dome thermometer and done it that way. But I can't monitor it from the house unless I look really hard through the window. I normally use it for any cook over an hour except for pizza. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I only use my DigiQ2 for low & slows and I clip it to the grid or a cheap oven thermometer sitting on the grid.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    It's all what you get used to.  The temperature in the area of the hole is going to be hotter than the temperature down on the grid.  But if you get used to these temperatures and their results, keep at it!!  Like, i like to "overcook" my spatchcocked chickens by 20 degrees -- because they are crispier and i think they taste better.  There are many ways to skin a cat!!   If most people on this forum operate their controller's grid probe at the grill level, that basically might mean to follow their method you might have to lower your temperature by say --- 20 degrees?? 
  • BillPinNC
    Options
    I do place the probe on the grid for the low and slow cooks. I only place it in the dome for the higher temp cooks. These probes are rated up to 425 so my thinking is that they would not last as long down on the grid at higher temps.