Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Salt Crusted Steak Thread?

I was reading a thread on here the other day where salt crusting steak was discussed in a lot of detail. Now I can't find that thread to save my life. I meant to bookmark it, but forgot. Can someone point me in the right direction? I want refresh myself on the details before throwing these bone in ribeyes on to cook. They're coated in kosher salt and resting in the fridge right now. Thanks to anyone who knows what in the world I'm talking about.
Athens, GA

Comments

• Do you want a salt crust or seasoning? Salt crusting is usually done by burying the meat in salt mixed in with egg whites.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MayberryMayberry Posts: 466
    I guess seasoning, then. It had to do with thoroughly coating with salt, letting rest in the fridge for about an hour per inch of thickness, until puddles of liquid form on the surface of the steak. then, rubbing the salt off, and grilling.
    Athens, GA
  • Chefs in Europe heavily coat beef with a lot of salt and let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours or more. The salt crust technique is used to seal the meat in a casing of salt. Salmon is often done this way. Either way the salt doesn't impart a lot of flavour but tends to draw the water out of the meat. With salt crust you break the crust away to get to it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Steve 

Caledon, ON

• rtt121rtt121 Posts: 645
    I can't find the thread I think you are talking about but I think it references this article.

http://www.steamykitchen.com/163-how-to-turn-cheap-choice-steaks-into-gucci-prime-steaks.html
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
    @rtt121: That's it! Thanks! I looked everywhere and couldn't find it. Tonight's cook was a little overdone, but I want to give it another shot with a thicker ribeye. The cuts I had tonight were only about an inch thick
    Athens, GA
    Little Steven, thanks for your help. I actually plan to do the crusted rib roast sometime soon, too. That looks awesome.
    Athens, GA
  • rtt121rtt121 Posts: 645
    Glad to help!
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • pwg56pwg56 Posts: 92
    edited February 2013
    In case it matters this was the thread http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1147556
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 860
    If you leave the steak long enough, the liquid leeched by the salt gets re-asorbed, at least according to Cook's Illustrated.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    That's where I went wrong. Timing really is everything. If you don't let it sit long enough, you get a dry piece of roast beef. If I try that again, I'll definitely let it sit over an hour and not cut it short, even by a few minutes.
    Athens, GA