Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is Spatchcock chicken? I'm going to cook one today but not familiar with this term

Hello everyone, I'm going to cook a whole chicken on the ole BGE today. I have been looking thru the forums and keep reading about Spatchcock cooking. I must be missing the explanation of what the technique is because I can't find it. Can someone one help this poor old blind cook? Thanks.

Comments

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Search you tube and you will hit on a million vids.

Some there are from the BGE community and are very detailed.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    This is for turkey. I like smaller chickens. Less than an hour cook. Spatchcocked Turkey (you cut out the backbone and cook opened) I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app) Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over. I will use a coffee rub (see below) Use what you like. NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND) I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180 Please let set for 20 to 30 mins to rest before cutting. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    I think he is asking about the technique of spatch

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator said:
    I think he is asking about the technique of spatch

yes
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    You can also try searching on butterflied chicken and find detailed instructions. Basic explanation is you cut out the backbone and either cut out the keel bone (it separates the breast halves) or press down hard on the center of the chicken breast to break it & allow the chicken to lie flat. End result looks like:
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Here's a nice step by step from Naked Whiz

You can also try searching on butterflied chicken and find detailed instructions. Basic explanation is you cut out the backbone and either cut out the keel bone (it separates the breast halves) or press down hard on the center of the chicken breast to break it & allow the chicken to lie flat. End result looks like: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

ok, that makes sense. It looks like you cook it direct over heat. How do you cook it. I have always cooked the beer can style
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

@Tjcoley-yt\ou beat me to it-BTW the main Naked Whiz site is a great place for all things ceramic.  Here's a different link to the same? info...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#chicken 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I cook over a setter, indirect set-up, 400. 
    It can be cooked raised direct at 350-400, but the indirect cook is a little more foolproof for the first attempt, IMHO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Oilpony
    Oilpony Posts: 49
    edited February 2013
    I cook over a setter, indirect set-up, 400. 
    It can be cooked raised direct at 350-400, but the indirect cook is a little more foolproof for the first attempt, IMHO. 

how do you cook it, to about 180 breast temp? How long does that usually take
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited February 2013
    @Oilpony-I would cook til the breast meat is around 160*F and the thighs 180+*F.  I let the chix warm for around 30-45 mins then put a small bag of ice on the breasts for around 20 mins just before tossing on the BGE.  Chills the breasts enough to get to the finish-line with each piece at around the target temp.  Give it a shot-if it doesn't work thne try something esle-the beauty of the BGE-almost any road will get you there.  My cooks run around 40-55 mins raised grid direct at about 350*F +/- on the dome.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Agree with @lousubcap, also put the bird on with the legs near the hinge, it is usually slightly hotter there. 
    Lately, I have parted the bird, so the legs/thigh go on 5 minuted before the breasts and 10 minuted before the wings. Easier to cook legs to temps lousubcap notes. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Agree with @Skiddymarker, you can also take spatchcock a step further and basically quarter the chicken.  Removing the backbone gives it better access to the heat and opens up the cavity to better receive the smoke.  Just watch the heat don't let it get too hot it will burn quick.  Done that before.  
  • Thanks all for the guidance.  I will let you know and post photos how it goes. 
  • Did not do so well. It was not cooked enough when I took it off at 161 internal temp, then it was a little over.cooked at 175. I'll try again
  • Oilpony said:
    Did not do so well. It was not cooked enough when I took it off at 161 internal temp, then it was a little over.cooked at 175. I'll try again
    Sound like it must have been pretty good, if 161 was underdone and 175 was overdone....
    How did you take the temp and with what?

• Oilpony said:
    Did not do so well. It was not cooked enough when I took it off at 161 internal temp, then it was a little over.cooked at 175. I'll try again
    Sound like it must have been pretty good, if 161 was underdone and 175 was overdone....
    How did you take the temp and with what?

When I took it off the first time, it seemed to moist if that makes any sense. It was cooked all the way thru but something did not seem right.  I use a Weber remote cooking thermometer