Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Toy Story Birthday Party

We had my twins' 3rd birthday party today. With a Toy Story theme, we had to have Pizza Planet. We did 6 pies and they were a hit. Sorry, no pics. The pies were getting eaten as fast as I could cook them.

My last 2 pies gave me some trouble. I seemed to have a major hot spot on my stone. The last 2 bottoms stuck to the stone in the front left of the egg and burned. I was really puzzled. I turned the pies every couple of minutes. They shouldn't have burned, but they did. I ended up with half of a perfect bottom, and half burned. Any thoughts?

Setup was as follows. Platesetter legs down with stone raised on 1/2 inch spacers on top of the platesetter. Temp was around 600. It did sneak up to the 650-700 range toward the end. I turned the pies every 2 minutes.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    I have not perfected pizza yet, but to me it was too hot. I usually go 550*. When the pie goes on, it seems to drop to around 500*. That temp works well with me. I keep the parchment paper under them as a heat barrier as well for most of the cook. For what it's worth.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Thanks, @500. I feel like I have "perfected" pizza. This one was just weird. I usually do 600 with no issue. I usually pull my parchment after a few minutes. My only thought is that my gasket is fried on that side, so air got in there and boosted the temp.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Last cook I did in the 650-700° range the stone kept getting hotter and hotter as the cook went on I didn't get out my IR thermometer but the last couple pizzas were getting done faster than I wanted. I've seen some guys take a wet rag and using gloves or tongs get the stone damp in-between pizzas to help it from getting so hot. I might have to give that a try next time, so I don't know if it works or not. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Good tip.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • IMHO, use legs up when doing multiple pies. legs down for one or two. Use a damp cloth to wipe and cool the stone a bit on multiple pie cooks and keep the temp under the 600 mark, my target is always 500-550. If your stone is larger then your setter (excluding the legs of course) the edge of the stone could be exposed to direct burning lump with a legs down set-up, hence the stone gets hotter, maybe you had some lump burning on the left front... just a guess. 
    Sounds like a great party! Enjoy them they grow up too fast. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!