Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks and Where to next

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Many thanks for the many replies to the oft asked question re. which grill to buy. I was relatively undecided on which cult to associate with when the brand X forum suggested that either product the BGE or brand X would be fine, I had already rejected the Cult O Grills. Obviously, the depth of commitment to the product responsible for their being was lacking. Thus, I will be rushing the BGE cult as soon as my local distributor calls me and tells me that my Egg has arrived. How do I get the secret digital handshake.[p]Furthermore, many thanks to TimM and Gfw for investing the time and building excellent resources pages. Much was learned their and both have made it to my favorite cult pages.[p]The Big Egg should arrive within the week and am obviously interested in firing 'er up. Any suggestions for something simple, conventient and tasty. As I am gainfully employed I will be coming home setting up the central grilling station and preparing that evenings meal. As I was born lazy, had a relapse as a teenager and now have a chronic condition simple and convenient will be important.[p]Thanks, I will now be reading the obligatory 20 responses in the archives and chanting in the direction of Atlanta.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    michaelh, Well, we do have our days here, but in the end we find positive results. I see your doing the same. Welcome to the Egg Shanty, and you can hang up the humble coat on the hook and be "PROUD" to be part of the "family" ..
    What to cook...Well..first I would start a wee fire, learn how the lower vent adustment affects the dome thermometer, find your remote, if its on your list (polder) and the first meat on the cooker should be a steak in celebration. Good thick 1.5 inch thick chops are great also. Try 500 on the steak temps to start with..If you like medium to medium rare..I would suggest 3 minutes a side, and then cap off top and bottom vents and let it (dwell/simmer) over the hot coals for another 3 to 4 minutes..This will not give you a charred steak, but a nicely done delicious juicy one. Same routine for thick cut chops..but add a minute to the routine. They need a tad bit more time. Nice light pink internal on the chops with temp around 150 on the meat. No higher or you will dry em out..Loose the juice..Love them chops..
    Good luck..C~W...
    Play and then cook...:-)

• The Colonel
    Options
    Welcome aboard--your only have to face Atlanta on Saturday evening for the obligatory smoke in the eye smile. Everything else is best described as good and fun. The egg hoods are optional.
    yours in the "HuMMM" "HuMMM" egg--The Colonel

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    michaelh,[p] You have made a good choice, if not for the product, then
    for the help line you will recieve. I bought my Egg going
    on two years & still look forward to each time I lite it up. If some think we are a cult because of the enjoyment
    that comes from this form, then from the words of our past leader " Mr Forest Gumpp"-- Sh-t Happens. Hee Hee
    Welcome[p] Earl

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    michaelh,
    Welcome to the family. You will not regret it! My Eggs (started with one, just had to add another … a mini) are just over a year old and see use 3-4 times a week. I can speak my self (and I sure there are others) in saying I look forward to hearing about your new adventures. Additionally, if you come up with any great recipes, please share them![p]Smokey[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    michaelh,
    Congrats! We've had our EGG for about 6 weeks and it's been a boatload of fun. So far we've converted three other people. (Boy does that sound like a cult). [p]Your going about it right. Throw away the cookbook and stick to the Forum. As you know TimM and GVW's sites are great also.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    michaelh,[p]I join the others in saying welcome to the forum and if you need any help at all, please holler to the group. You will undoubtedly get quick enthusiastic answers, some of them conflicting but there are a million ways to skin a cat. We all have our own way of doing things from starting and maintaining a fire to rubbing and marinating a steak or pork butts or you name it. Thats the beauty of the forum is that you can learn from everyone, develop your own style, and enjoy and share the rusults and experiences with others.[p]For the first cook I'd plan on something easy like a pork chop or a steak. It will take you a few fires to figure out how the egg reacts to the vent (upper and lower) settings. Steaks and chops are relatively forgiving and the fire is easy to maintain at high temps. I'd get a good thick steak or chop, get the temp of the fire to about 500 and sear each side for 2-3 minutes, then shut down the upper and lower vents and dwell the steak/chop for another 4 or so.[p]Good luck, welcome, and get ready for some good eats.[p]Troy
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    michaelh,[p]You will be given the secret during your first meal! Welcome aboard the BGE express, enjoy the ride. Yell if you need help.[p]Tim - thanks for the nice words