Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Braised Short Ribs served over Parmesan Polenta

I found this recipe on another site. It was easy and ended up as one of the best short rib meals I have ever tasted.

Ingredients:

• 2-3 pounds grass-fed beef short ribs (on bones)
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • grass-fed beef lard
  • extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
  • 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped
  • 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed with the side of a knife
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 4-5 springs of thyme, tied together with kitchen string
  • 2 cups red wine
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 cups beef stock
  1. Preheat oven to 325F.
  2. Season the ribs all over with salt and pepper.
  3. Heat 1-2 tablespoons of lard in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Brown beef on all sides in batches; place browned ribs in a bowl.
  4. Pour off “used” oil.  Add ~1 tablespoon of olive oil to pan and return to medium-high heat.  Add onions, celery, and carrots.  Cook until softened, stirring occasionally.
  5. Add garlic, bay leaf, tomato paste, and thyme  Cook briefly (about 2 minutes), stirring constantly.  The tomato paste should begin to caramelize, sticking to the pan.
  6. Add wine, beef stock, and balsamic vinegar.  Stir well.
  7. Bring to a boil, then return the ribs and any accumulated liquids to the pot.  Cover and place in oven to braise for around 3 hours or until the ribs are very tender (as in falling-apart-tender). Check on them occasionally to ladle off excess fat and make sure the liquid doesn’t get too low.  You want the liquids to reduce, but not completely!
  8. When the ribs are done, carefully transfer the meat to a platter.
  9. Ladle off extra fat.  Remove the bay leaf and the thyme stems tied with kitchen string.  Using an immersion blender, puree the sauce.  (You can strain the sauce if you’d like a fine texture, but it is not necessary.)  Season with salt and pepper, to taste.  Return the rib meat to the sauce, reheat on the stove top, and it’s ready to serve!
I didn't use lard, and of course I replaced the "oven" with my egg.

First I put a crust on the short ribs. Brought the egg up to 400 and seared each side for about 3 minutes.

I put the plate setter in legs up with the grate on top. Next I heated up the dutch oven and added the olive oil and veggies. Egg Dome temp was 350. They took about 40 minutes to soften up. I added the tomato paste, garlic, and spices. After a few minutes the tomato paste was covering everything and began to caramelize, I then added the zinfandel, balsamic and beef stock. 

I then proceeded to drink many beers (bells expedition porter is a great beer to drink while preparing a meal of this nature) and monitor the fluid level in the dutch oven. 

After about 3 hours the meat was falling off the bones.

I then prepared the parmesan polenta using an Emiril recipe found online. 

I then brought the entire dutch oven into the house and removed the ribs/meat. I scooped out almost all of the vegies and blended them into a "gravy". I needed to add approximately two cups of the juice to the veggies in an effort to get the desired consistency. 

Then it was time to eat. Put down a layer of polenta, throw some meat on top, dress it with some gravy, and you are all set!

It was awesome. The only thing I would change would be the cut of short ribs. The upper echelon restaurants in Chicago use a very large/thick short rib but I was unable to find any of this size. I had a few that were medium size but most were pretty small/thin. 

Comments

• Hmmm pics didn't load, I will try again later.
  • Please do try to get the pics loaded. It sounds great!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I got some really meaty short ribs at Paulina Market (3501 N. Lincoln Avenue) in Chicago awhile back.  Not the cheapest prices, but always great quality.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

That is a great recipe. Same one I followed and put on my site. You don't need the beef lard if you are giving the ribs a short grill prior to the braise. Its only for if you are searing them in a dutch oven.

Made this last year and its still one of Mrs. G's favorite things I've ever cooked. She asks for it all the time. I'll share one of my pics since you are having troubles.image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin it was your post that I found and used for my short ribs. 

Mike, Thanks for the Paulina tip. I am over there all the time. 

I can't load pics using safari or firefox
  • Griffin it was your post that I found and used for my short ribs. 

Mike, Thanks for the Paulina tip. I am over there all the time. 

Here is a pic of the ribs getting seared

Here are the veggies before and after

The ribs after the brais

The veggies before and after the blending

and the final product over the polenta covered in the gravy

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    MikeP624 said:
    I got some really meaty short ribs at Paulina Market (3501 N. Lincoln Avenue) in Chicago awhile back.  Not the cheapest prices, but always great quality.
    I miss that place so much it hurts. No butchers around here in Houston to be found for love or money. Stuck with the grocery store meat counters. They are decent, but nothing compared to a real butcher.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.