Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Grilled Tri Tip

thailandjohnthailandjohn Posts: 952
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
A little Tri-Tip from last night
image.jpg 1.1M
·

Comments

• Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448
    Looks awesome, we love some tri tip.
    ·
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 605
    edited February 2013
    I agree with Plano_JJ Looks Awesome.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Texarkana, TX

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,280
    Tri tip is one of our favs
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • WiltOnTiltWiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    edited February 2013
    WOW! Looks incredible

What was your general plan of attack for this?
    ·
  • Six Tri-tips on an XL Egg.....got temp up to 700 degrees with Mesquite Charcoal (I use Mesquite for all my cooks, fast and slow) Rubbed meat with Montreal Steak Seasoning and a little Garlic Salt.....seared 2 minutes per side then kept flipping every 5 minutes until done, about 25 minutes total time......the thinner Tri-Tips were for the people that liked it on the more well done side....the thicker ones came out as in the picture, med-rare
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    Nice I don't think I've ever seen 6 tri-tips in my grocery store let alone on a egg at one time! I love tri-tip and got spoiled while working in California, here in Oklahoma it is pretty hard to find. Looks great! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • I can get mine anytime from business Costco or regular Costco ......the business Costco I can get them for less, buying them by the bag, six in a bag
    ·
    All we have is Sam's Club in Oklahoma no Costco. I wish I could find them but will continue my search. I would probably do one weekly if I could! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • Restaurant Depot in our area also has Tri Tips
    ·
    edited February 2013
    We don't have those either, I've been to them in other states and wish we did. Thanks for thinking of other places.

With Oklahoma only able to sell 3.2 beer in stores it keeps a lot of the big chains away since there is a good profit in wine and spirits. We finally got a whole foods but a oil and gas company practically built them a building to persuade them to come here.
    ·
  • That tri tip with the juices looks perfect .
    ·
  • ThailandJohn - when you get yours in the bag like that at Costco, are they untrimmed with an extra flap of meat that resembles skirt steak on them?  I have never seen them like that except for the bag I recently bought at Costco.  I actually liked the extra bit.
    Knoxville, TN
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,587
    Looks perfect!  Tri-tip is also one of my new faves. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • The last bag of Tri-Tips were trimmed
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,977
    Sounds like good eats. Have never done tri-tip, but one of these days I'll reach the "tip"ping point and make one.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • I love me some tri-tip! My local costco usually carries them, but if  they sit too long in the cooler they slice them up in to strips.

Sometimes I'll give it a little slow smoke and finish it up with a reverse sear.
    ·