Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daytona Results

I don't know how many race fans we have on the egger board but I am guessin at least a few. I am a huge Matt Kenseth fan but after he went out I was majorly rootin for Danica. I. Have to say she had an awesome race. I was rootin for any one that wasn't Hendrick after my # 20 went out Who do you route for?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    edited February 2013
    Kyle...not a lot of passing going on. The new gen. car is boring better than last year where you needed a bump draft partner. Still not a lot of passing. In the early to late 90s I had season tickets for both races at MIS. I hardly watched a race last year and probably won't watch many this year. Need to lift the restrictor plate restrictions letem run wild...
  • Matt Kenseth is my favourite as well, since his DeWalt days, wish he had kept 17, always liked that number. 
    Danica belongs, she had a great race. Jr made it happen at the finish with Mark Martin, experience comes through. 
    I hate restrictor plate races which is why the shorter tracks are the best, really like Vegas. Sad, but the 500 has become a boring race for the fans, instead of the two step, it is now the train. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    @skiddy- I truly understand what you mean with restrictor racing. Remember Bill Elliott just goin crazy and lapping the whole field?? I guess after the restrictor plate my most traumatic memory would be after #17 won the championship with only 1 win in the season and then here come the chase. Talk about giving everybody a freakin ribbon.

Just openin em up and let em go!!!

analyze adapt overcome

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Nothing but a corporate billboard parade. NASCAR went in the wrong direction on this a couple of ways.

They spec out real race cars that could probably do 225 mph on a recently repaved super-smooth track that would probably hold them at 250 mph and then hold them to under 200 mph. That right there spells boring!

They also missed the boat on the drivers vs. cars. Who cares about the drivers? It's always been about the cars! So they go and make all of the cars the same. B-O-R-I-N-G again.

So there's no real accel-decel racing going on.

And to top it off motor mouth Daryl Waltrip is over acting, over stating, and over rating everthing.
  • Dale Jr fan here.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Mattman3969
    Couldn't say it any better Steve!!!

analyze adapt overcome

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Nascar is boring. I used to LIVE to watch Daytona back in the day before they turned it into a glorified IROC race. Used to love watching different models/makes of cars that actually had some differences between them. It also drove auto makers to design cars that would do well on the track. Now all cars are pretty much identical. 

It appeared to me that the boys did a pretty good job of shutting DP out of the last lap. I think one more lap and she'd have finished last.  ;)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Not a racing fan but pull for jimmie. I think dannica gets attention because she's a woman. She really hasn't competed but that's me. Nascar is like baseball...better in person than on TV.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mattman3969
    I think Danica had a great run today, after all she never got out of the top 10. I realize Daytona & Dega are really throw away when it comes to racing because it is all luck and drafting, but she did better than most ( including me) expected. You gotta give her credit woman or not!!

analyze adapt overcome

• I had Talladega and Atlanta "season" tickets in the late 80 early 90's it isn't the same. I was there when Awesome Bill from Dawsonville set the record at Dega. Restrictor plates ruined NASCAR. The first year we had Tickets at Dega they were $25 and 10 yards before the start finish line just under the second deck. So we had the entire Rae in the shade, I dropped in 95 or 96 and they were $75 a ticket.
  • Mattman3969
    Tru dat on the restrictor plates!!! I used to watch every race and would go to Dega every year until about 2000. Now NASCAR sucks. I generally watch Daytona just because, other that that I'd rather be eggin!!!

analyze adapt overcome

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    This.  

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2013
    @Botch has it right, that's a sport. (that's also my brand of bike) The isle of Man TT, unbelievable, saw the 2007 event. 
    During speed week, the bikes used to run the oval and then do a road course thru the infield, wish the cars did that, as long as folks keep buying tickets the super speedways are doomed to be very boring, now Bristol is something else all together. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I'm a NASCAR fan.  (See username above).  At least the cars look a little different this year.  Better than the cookie cutter bodies of years past.  Always liked Mark Martin.  The short tracks have more excitement to me.  I go to RIR twice a year.  The tailgate is as much or more fun than the race sometimes.  We like to get there by 9am for the 7pm race. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    This.  
    +1

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2013
    500 said:
    I'm a NASCAR fan.  (See username above).  At least the cars look a little different this year.  Better than the cookie cutter bodies of years past.  Always liked Mark Martin.  The short tracks have more excitement to me.  I go to RIR twice a year.  The tailgate is as much or more fun than the race sometimes.  We like to get there by 9am for the 7pm race. 
    Every sport has a "Gentleman" and in NASCAR it is Mark Martin. Never been to Richmond, it is a great "TV" track, always an exciting race. Looking forward to St Patrick's Day at Bristol. If I arrived 10 hours before a race, I'd be asleep by race time! The TV audience for the super speedways has been declining, lots of hoopla but does not deliver an exciting fan experience. I think the day of the 2 mile plus track is over.  
  • Mark Martin was my favorite when I started watching in the 90s. We went and seen Mark when he was signing autographs. 100s of fans and I'm looking for Mark and I kept saying I don't see him, wife points and says right there. About 3 feet in front of me. I was looking over him and beyond. Me being 6'3" and Mark maybe all of 4'4" I was overshooting the target :) Go Mark! When I owned a few Fords he was my favorite now since I own Lexus and Toyotas I cheer for Kyle Busch....Toyotas were running great until they blew up toward the end..:)
  • I haven't been a fan of NASCAR or had a favorite since Harry Gant.  Rolex and the Daytona Prototypes is where it's at.  They won't stop the race for every little piece of dirt that gets on the track.  Always racin come rain or shine.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

Tony Stewart and Jeff Burton....quit bitchin and go racing is what i say...Tony runs anything that has a set of tires on it and Jeff just tells it like it is - good /bad/ugly....but i live a rocks throw from Richard Childress shop's...looks like they may have their mess together this year

Danica should of pulled out of line at the end and made a run at it with a couple to go...i'm sure Dale Jr. would of went with her....Nobody remembers who finishes behind the winner

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC