Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru Help

Options
My wife got me a BBQ Guru DigiQ DX 2 for my birthday. I tried it out for the first time today. I did a rack of ribs at 275. I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the instructions that came with it. They a very detailed about the actual device itself but didn't have any instructions on setting it up, installing on the egg, when to put it on (before lighting fire or after), ect. I figured it out and got to rolling at 275. Very cool how it holds the temp dead on. image Here is where I need help. Twice during my cook, I had the device not register the pit temp. Both times came after opening the lid to "spritz" the ribs. The first time I simply pulled the lead out and inserted it again and it registered. The second time I pulled it our again but the temp never registered again. Luckily I was close enough to the finish line that it didn't effect the cook. image I know the lead has to be firmly in the unit or you get the 3 dashes. It was firmly in the unit. So anyone that has knowledge of the guru that will help, please share. Thanks in advance.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Give them a call they are very good to deal with . i had a simalar problem and turned out my probe was bad . even tho its new its still a electrical appliance and anything can happen . but each time I've dealt with them they have been more than helpful
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Max232
    Max232 Posts: 76
    edited February 2013
    Options
    We had a problem with 3 of those temp probes today, I had to re-solder the wires at the connection. Grasp the tip of the plug end and unscrew the outer case, then check that the blue wire is connected solidly to the center of the plug, hope Im not too confusing on the description. Cool name, I'm guessing you brew beer?

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    You can also check the probe. They can come unscrewed on the plug that fits in the Digi Q. This happened to me once. I check them every use now. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    The digit Dx2 has a open lid detection so there is no need to pull out the plug every time you open the dome. Here is the user manual if you didn't get it in your package. 10.4 is how to turn on open lid detection. 

I never pull mine out during the cook and haven't had any issues in almost two years. I wait till I'm sure the fire is lit and thats when I put the door and the fan on, same with the platesetter and grate too. Ask anything else and I can see if I can help you out. 

Good luck! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.