Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Love for the "hasselback" potato

Ribeye steak seared at 700° on the BGE until medium rare and grilled "hasselback" potatoes with kosher salt, minced garlic, pepperjack and American cheese and crumbled bacon tucked between the slices. I forgot to place an order for asparagus this morning when my better half went to the market or we would have had grilled asparagus as well.

These potatoes will DEFINITELY be on our menu again.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.

Comments

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    The potatoes sound fantastic.  May need to try them tomorrow.  Great cook
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,103
    Wow I can't wait to try the potatoes. Did you bake in oven or BGE?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • ParallelParallel Posts: 428
    edited February 2013
    Th potatoes were cooked in the BGE at 400° for about an hour then they came off and went into a 200° oven to keep them hot while the BGE was brought up to temp for the steaks.

The garlic wasn't put on the potatoes until the last 15 minutes and the cheese and bacon went on after they came off the egg.

• those look very good!

XLBGE 
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 625
    Looks great. Great idea for potatoes

XLBGE, LBGE 

Texarkana, TX

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,884
    +1 for the hasselback potatoes-hard to beat and you can certainly change up the topings.
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    I forgot to add that the potatoes were cooked indirect...

• Mr_BreamMr_Bream Posts: 34
    edited February 2013
    Definitely going to have to try those someday. We seem to have the worst luck with potatoes
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,910
    Looks great! Those potatoes are on my list and this made them jump up to the top! =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,584
    Yep. Potatoes look good. True eggers meal. No greens. B-)
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,130
    Get my plate ready... I'm comin' over.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,542

Will happily accept a flat line on the heart monitor for that meal especially that potato.

Very well done sir.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

• Did you boil the potatoes first (per the recipe you linked)?
    No... but it might have made it easier to get them to "fan out". I did rinse them to keep the starch from sticking the slices together.

• Thanks for replying. I'm having trouble getting these right on the egg.
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,193
    @charliebatutis - I had a problem with these until I tried the Yukon golds. They slice and hold together much better than a russet or whatever Green Giant spuds are. Yukons, boil very nicely and open to take the bacon. Nice change from twice bakers... 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,670
    So you boil @Skiddymarker?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,193
    @henapple - Yes, perhaps the more appropriate term would be par-boil, just enough to soften the spud. My issue was that russets were either raw or cooked, there seemed to be no in between. The Yukons worked the best. SWMBO suggested using nuggets with only a couple of slices and and a bacon chunk in each... she might just have a good idea. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • Thanks @skiddymarker. I will try the Yukon golds.