Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I wish I had a good dealer...

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
The place where I bought my large egg from is okay, but somewhat soulless - biggish local hardware store, where someone is assigned to the bbq section each day in rotation, prices are a little higher than other places. They're okay. 

Bought my small from another dealer because they had a great deal, and accessory prices were a bit lower vs. dealer #1. They had one floor model left in stock with the side wings attached. They wanted me to come back the next day since I didn't want the side shelves. They were scheduled to come buy and do some poolwork 2 days later, so I said hey,why don't you just have the guy bring it to my house in 2 days. They wanted $75 for delivery. So I gave them the look, and convinced them to take a whopping 10mins to take the shelves off, so that I could buy it that day.  They ended up standing me up 2 days later for the pool work - I had taken the morning off work - and they were real pinheads about the whole thing, so I don't want to give them anymore of my business.

Segue to my quest to buy 2 sets of egg feet. Stopped by dealer #3 today, and they are a froo-froo kitchen and bath store without any eggs ever on display. They order direct from the distributor whenever someone wants an egg. The young lady had no clue what i meant by the feet.

On to dealer #4, a fireplace store, who I know from past experience is overpriced. Asked him if he had any feet lying around in the back. He did! Wanted $15 for EACH foot. Told him that dealers were giving these away free, and that a set of Primo feet could be had for $20 per set of 3 on the internet. He came down to $10 for each foot. I passed. This is the guy who thought his XL on display was a large, and his mini on display was a small.

There are 2 more dealers (one is the sister store of dealer #1) in Houston, so I will go and try my luck there. I think there are a couple of others around, about an hour's drive away, which I may try whenever I'm in those areas. Until then, my clay pot holders from Lowes ($5 for 3) are holding up well... but they aren't green.

Oh well. Guess I'm just venting. But I am green with envy when I hear about folks who have great dealers, who know how to treat their customers right. Its becoming an alien concept... around here at least.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    That sucks...sorry, man. I'm in Athens, GA, and Georgia Spa Company in town can't be beat. Steve is a great guy and is always willing to help out. It really helps to have a good dealer to work with. But, I know what you mean about bad dealers. I was in a store called Southern Spa and Patio just outside of town a few weeks back, and couldn't believe how I saw a customer being treated. A guy had bought an xl egg, table, plate setter, cover, and multiple other accessories just a few months ago from the store. He told the lady who owns the store that his daisy wheel had broken and she tried to sell him one off the displays and said she'd order another one from BGE..."He could just pay her $35 and she'd deal with the rest". Overhearing this, I butted in and told the guy to contact BGE directly, and they'd more than likely handle it as a warranty claim. The owner, somewhat embarrassed, tried to correct me, stating that" BGE warranty wasn't what it used to be and that they are a lot more picky about what they cover now". When I asked sarcastically when that changed, I got the shaky answer of "about 6 months ago", to which I replied that they'd sent me a replacement daisy wheel and gasket just a few month back, so the guy should be okay. The customer could tell he was being taken advantage of, stated he expected more from a store he'd spend close to $2000 in over the past few months, thanked me and left. Sad thing is that I was there to buy 8-10 bags of charcoal and a Small Egg. I went in there planning to drop close to $1000 myself, and left shaking my head. I'll never buy anything there again. And won't be purchasing my outdoor furniture from them when I move in the next few months. That's another $2-3k. Simple rule of small business...treat your customers right and they will help support you. Treat them poorly and they will tell the whole town. Keep looking....even if they are 30 minutes away, you'll find a good dealer. They're out there.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I have a dealer here thats real good. My wife bought me a LG egg for christmas with side shelves and a nest. I built a table for my egg the day after I got it. So I didnt need the nest or side tables. I called the dealer and he told me to bring them back for a refund. He was so nice about it that I decided on an instore credit instead of a refund. I loaded up with BGE excessories. I called him a few weeks later about some feet and he found me some in the back and gave them to me for free.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• caliking
    @Mayberry - see that's what I don't get. For $35, she pi$$ed off not 1, but 2 customers who were spending (or about to spend) thousands of dollars. That's nuts.

@bo_mull - you're the kinda guy I'm jealous of :) 

• A good dealer is one of the things that few of us have.  Those that have a great dealer, understandably, brag about them constantly.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    i hear ya, i have one local dealer the rest are all over 2 hours away and they are only open from 12-5 with some h.s. kid working there that doesn't know the difference between lump coal and briquettes.
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    edited February 2013
    The dealer I got my small from was a small fireplace store. I went in and talked to them and they ordered me the small the next day. Went in a week ago and ordered a few more things probably around $150 worth and she said she would put the order in Monday as it was Friday night
  • I went thru the same type of experience when I first bought egg(s) in my area.   We offered to have the first Eggfest and the dealer that came took home over $10k in sales and didn't want to be there.   Go figure.   We opened a Big Green Egg store ourselves soon after, by offering great customer service along with a great selection we now sell over 250 Eggs a year.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    i hear ya, i have one local dealer the rest are all over 2 hours away and they are only open from 12-5 with some h.s. kid working there that doesn't know the difference between lump coal and briquettes.
  • I'm sorry bud. My local dealer is terrible!! Except I got some free feet from them, they are complete jerks and snobs and no nothing about the egg.

Guy I've bought both my eggs from is over an hour away but amazing. Calls me with answers to question, he's a big egghead, is on the forum personally, and in touch with naked whiz. That's the reason I drive to buy from him, plus he is cheaper.

This is my observation and the reason my local dealer is bad and this guy is great. Local dealer is a pool store that just happens to sell eggs. If they sell one oh well if not who cares.

Guy I buy from owns a "grill store" he sells high end gas and big green egg. Hmmm see what I mean.

XLBGE 
  • Oh, sent ya a msg too. Let me know if ya want me to

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    @MCN- cool! Replied.

• caliking
    I didn't realize that indifferent dealers were more common. It's a tragedy that the mothership can't do something about it.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Chattanooga rocks with The Patio Store. Excellent support and very well informed sales staff. They never push and warranty work is a breeze. And they always seem to "know" you, even your name.

I have recommended them to several who wanted to buy an egg and asked me for help.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    man, this is a sad story and something the Mother Ship should be concerned about.  I'm in Cumming Ga and my dealer is a meat market, very good in fact I've sold 7 BGEs to friends for him! He has helped me out with a cast iron grid and the cap on top - which I rolled off my table onto the concrete and watched it simply shatter.
    Sorry about your troubles!
  • BGE does offer incentives for their dealers, incentives to carry more inventory, incentives to demo cook etc.   Like mentioned here, most dealers pay their rent with another portion of their overall business.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• I'm completely spoiled. I literally live around the corner from the mothership. I made the mistake of buying my large from someone else in Atlanta, but returned to the BGE HQ to pick up a table nest and investigate some needed items that the dealer had conveniently left out of the package deal. (ash tool, charcoal)

Upon telling the gentleman my plight, he stepped into the back and grabbed a used ash tool. I payed for the bag of charcoal and table nest, but he wouldn't let me for the ash tool. Salt of the earth. (all of them - it must be an eggfest in there every day)

I thought I might be doing the local economy and a doomed Ace a favor by buying through them, but I'll never bother with anyone but HQ again.
    Tucker, GA - LBGE
  • WOW, I guess I'm lucky! I go to BBQ island in Tempe, and they are great!!!! Not only are they well versed in the world of BGE, but most of they folks there, are bbq competitors. This is a hugh thing for me, because I use my eegs in competitions. If I need anything, they are there to help out with any of my needs, from loaning me items to bringing the products with them to the competitions for me.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    That sucks I frequently go to different egg dealers and there are alot around here that I like. There are probably 10 egg stores here within 25 miles and one is the retail store in tucker.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    At least you guys have choices. We have an Ace that is decent and a fireplace store that doesnt stock $%#@.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • After I bought my large from some sap on CL, I went to my local dealer for a new CI grid and gasket kit.  They're a new dealer whose main business is pools, hottubs, fireplaces and pool tables.  They weren't too worried about my business evidently because it took 6 or 7 weeks for the order to come in.  He even had to order a gasket kit because he didn't have any.  I suspect the order wasn't submitted right away and decided new dealer or not, that was unaccaptable customer service.  By chance, a dealer from a neighboring town was on this forum and I noticed the name.  @Owossoegger is a Heating & Cooling supplier who just started carrying BGE products.  What I like about him is a willingness to listen.  He also started carrying Dizzy Pig products.  What's not to like about that?  
    Flint, Michigan
  • I feel your pain. My dealer charged my wife for Nest ($150) when she went to buy me a Mate ($75) for Christmas. She didn't know how much it was supposed to cost, so she didn't catch it. I just happened to ask her how much it was and when she told me $150, I knew something was fishy. Looked at the receipt and it said "Nest" on it. I called the dealer but they were closed for 2-3 weeks around Christmas and New Year's. Finally went in there in early January when they opened back up and showed them the receipt. They barely apologized. Someone else had also given me a Mate so I was returning it and getting a DO, V Rack, and a Cover in its place. I expected him to give me some type of discount after charging us DOUBLE for the Mate. They never offered so I asked if I could get a 10% discount. He went and got the manager and I think she gave me $5 off the total purchase. Needless to say, I'm a little disenchanted with them - but they're the only dealer in my town. There's a greater butcher shop 45 minutes away that is a dealer. Maybe I'll go there...
  • caliking
    Maybe I need to move.

SWMBO might have something to say when I list my criteria for moving as "must have good BGE dealer within reasonable distance"! :)

• @dawsonhull - If it were me, I would go to the other dealer.  In my case, I travel 30 minutes one way to get to my new dealer instead of 10 minutes.  I don't get it.  The economy sucks in most places around the country.  Why some dealers risk losing much needed business by providing poor customer service is beyond me!
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    oneNashville Hearth and Grill is awesome. Knowledgeable, great in store selection and good service. I would buy my mini there but I'm going to win one in Salado.
    My hometown changed dealers. Stopped in Friday to browse and meet the folks...10 minutes and no one noticed me. It's in a furniture store for Pete's sake.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I'm feeling blessed with my dealer, their prices are on the high side but they have a whole room dedicated to the Egg and they have 2 or 3 eggs that they cook on all the time. Every Saturday they do wings and hand them out. They also offer BGE cooking classes. They also have a program if you buy 6 bags of lump #7 is free, same for rubs buy 6 get one free. And they are very knowledgeable.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • I'd be broke if I lived close to the dealer I deal with!! He has a great store and super nice guy, shout out to Bama's Backyard Living in Tuscaloos AL!!!

XLBGE 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Two observations:

Why would bge set up a store that really doesn't serve bge customers? People that have never cooked on one but have only seen the promo video. If i were a regional Mgr some things would change.

Do these stores not realize how much money we're willing to spend and how loyal we are to customer service?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited February 2013
    @henapple  ,  It really does tick me off when I go into my local dealer, with a grand to drop on a grill and they could care less. 

Does make you curious how much involvement BGE mothership has with small dealers.  I imagine you just ask to sell the eggs, make a considerable purchase of stock of egg and egg stuff, and give it a decent amount of floor space.  

could give a lot of insight into the process i bet

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Mother Egg sells to distributors and they sell to your dealer.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited February 2013

This is typical because the Green Egg portion of their business is strickly a side product and not the "bread and butter" part of these businesses.  If the business owner is smart, and educates his/her employees about this product, the store will sell more eggs, and in today's market -- EGGS SELL EGGS !!  As i was reading down the list of comments, right away, those forum members that like their dealer was a function of customer service and knowing the product.  I have dealt with two different dealers.  My local dealer sell stoves and fireplaces --  and a few eggs!!  If you get the right salesperson you will be happy, and if not, you might walk out of the store in a rush!!  And they tried to charge me $16.00 for a three month old failed gasket. 

The second dealer was a Ace Hardware and my niece had talked to someone knowledgable on the product and who gave her a packaged price for all the parts she was wanting.  Since i had a pikup truck, i went with her to buy the package deal.  Her original saleperson was not in the store, and the staff would not honor the other guy's quote!!  My niece was very upset, but just walked out of the store.  Knowing how upset she was i didn't mention the egg on the way back to her house.  When we arrived at her house, she went in and opened up her phone address book.  Come to find out she knew the Ace Hardware store owner -- he owns three stores.  After a short discussion, he told her he would take care of it.  Fifteen minutes later he call to say the egg was ready to be picked up, or he would have it delivered free!  We had some other shopping to do, so she said we would pick it up.  The store employees were ALTOGETHER different on the second trip.  She got the original deal -- plus they didn't charge her for the cast iron grill and a three tiered grid that was inside the egg -- plus the owner thru in three free bags of lump.