Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

After Years of Being a "Butt Man", Gonna Try A Picnic Roast.

Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 5,311
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
I love cooking pork butts.  Wilma went to Meijer and I asked her to pick up a couple so I can make pulled pork tomorrow.  She called me at work at told me the picnic roasts were on sale for $0.99/lbs.  I told her to buy 'em and then I realized I've never cooked a picnic roast before.  Chalk it up to not messing with success or maybe being unsure about what to do with the skin.  I don't know.   I planned on putting a couple of butts in the Egg early tomorrow and transporting it FTC to my Mom's for pulled pork.  I'm thinking of skinning 'em, rub 'em and Egg 'em.  So the question remains about what do I do with the skin?  To get cracklins, can I pan fry it or does it need to be deep fried?

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·

Comments

• six_eggsix_egg Posts: 603
    Never done pan. Deep fried are heaven:)

XLBGE, LBGE growing accessories.

Want: Ceramicgrillworks 2 tier large, Dutch oven, Cyber Q Wifi

Grenada, MS

·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Same as butt. Git ir dun.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,150
    Don't skin. Score it and watch your family fight over the best part.
    ·
  • Don't skin. Score it and watch your family fight over the best part.

Ok. I like easy and scoring it is easy. Plus I'm looking forward to armwrestling Wilma or my Mom over some skin! Thanks for the tip!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,262
    dang it i did my first one this week and skinned it.  i oven roasting the skin for cracklins though.  i thought it was a bit dryer than the usual boston butt.
    ·
  • JscottJscott Posts: 174
    Help me here, what cut is a 'picnic' roast?
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,453
    Jscott said:
    Help me here, what cut is a 'picnic' roast?
    The butt and the picnic are the 2 parts of the whole shoulder. The butt is the upper section, and the picnic is the lower. The ones I've done have cooked a little faster than butts. The flavor and texture of the meat is a little different than the butt. To me, its less succulent, but more savory.
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,591
    No experience on this, but I've read that if the skin is not crackly crispy like it should be, do a reverse sear on the skin side over high heat to get it there.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • I bought a few picnics this week because my store didn't have butts. My observation is that the bone is a lot bigger in the picnic. Once the small bone in the butt is pulled out, pretty much everything left can be be pulled or just sliced into nice chunks for freezing. A picnic doesn't have the contiguous meat that a butt has because of the bone. Everything was good, but when all was said and done there was a lot less meat on the 10# picnic than a 10# butt. Soup lovers might prefer the icnic bone to work with. 
    XL BGE w/CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    North Tahoe, CA
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,150
    500 said:

No experience on this, but I've read that if the skin is not crackly crispy like it should be, do a reverse sear on the skin side over high heat to get it there.

Or stick it in the oven at 375 for a few minutes to finish off any non-crispy part. Especially if you've already taken it inside. People will come running, no need for a dinner bell.
    ·
  • jerrypjerryp Posts: 226
    Butt is way better than a picnic. Much more forgiving as well.
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,046
    I have recently become a butt man too. Used to like legs and bossoms.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·