Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Late night quickie

MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,875
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
Well kinda, just tossed two 8 lbs butts on. Need to do a mix between low slow, turbo and nitro and I'm still indecided so this journey will unfold as the butts cook!!

Man it's been a day, left early, went and picked up my new small, since out of town took my wife to dinner and a movie. Got home around 11 and started working on my butts.

Butts on egg at 00:00, dome 350, grate around 240. First I put butts on and forgot my drip pan. And now that the mavericks are in the butts I see that they are still frozen on the middle :(

Oh well. Here goes. Need these done, resting and packed up to travel early tomorrow.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Used bad Byron's and some dizy dust.
Anyone use this? Dealer recommended it so got it to try later.

Using two mavericks, old Et 73 and new Et 732

Just in case it rains more

Dome

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
·

Comments

• Incase you didn't know, Et 73 will measure low temps. Et 732 won't go below 32•
    Oh man I hope this works

Nighty night. See y'all in the am unless the mav's beep

·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,239
    love the john henry rubs.  never seen the alabama one here but i use texas pig rub on everything.  also up on my list are bourbon maple, and apple chipotle.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,174
    I've done butts at 280 grate temp which started late but were ready by morning and eaten for lunch (after cooler time). I had the platesetter in legs up holding the drip pan the one time I did this on the egg.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • 04:30
    Woke up by maverick. At 160 internal. Can't decide if I wanna foil or bump heat up. Or both. Going to look at bark and butts

·
  • Barks not quiet there so no foil. Will just ride out the stall.
    Dome=300
    Grate= 290
    Internal=171

5 hours in, these pictures don't do it justice. These butts look and smell amazing!!! I opened up the bottom vent just a tad, have a ton of charcoal left and wouldn't mind if it was a tad hotter than 300. Still might foil, but wanna get a little more bark. Hopefully the stall won't kill my time limit. Fingers crossed.

·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,489
    Those look great. I am a big John Henry fan. Haven't tried that one but have 3 or 4 others.
    Keep us posted.
    ·
  • Dan4BBQDan4BBQ Posts: 258
    Looks Great------------
    ·
  • 6.75 hours in. Stuck in stall.
    Internal= 176
    Grate=324

Gonna give it a little longer.

Thanks guys

·
  • AltonAlton Posts: 431
    Looks awesome! I'm also a Big John Henry fan, I have used the Apple Chipotle on ribs and the Garlic Pepper on my Prime rib..need to get me some others.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,489
    The JH Greek is my favorite rub in my collection. I replace it all the time. I hear the pecan rub is their most famous but haven't tried it.
    ·
  • Total cook time 8.5 hours. Grate temp around 300-330. Pulled when one butt was 205, other was 201.

·
  • Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Ready to ride!!!' About an hour per pound. Uncovered whole time around 3-325 \m/

·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,395
    Looks like you made it. You must be on the road now. I would have pulled a little sooner at 195*, but I'm no expert. So it was no foil all the way. Super.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • As if there was any doubt. A great cooking tool operated expertly. Great cook - enjoy your day!

=D>
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 3,780
    Looks very good!!! And no foil :D

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 12,847
    Nice...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Thanks guys, yup we are driving, gotta right a paper today on healthcare reform and then off to man night and see how these butts taste!!

I have my hopes up, tried a nibble of the bark, if they are on point I will never go back to 225'
    its so easy to keep the egg at 300ish and pretty much cut the time in half almost

·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,875
    edited February 2013
    Got it pulled, pulled one, chopped one. Not quiet the bark as my last low and slow. But not enough difference for anyone else to know. Always remember when egging for others your your own worst critic and most people get their bbq at apple bees!

Chopped

Pulled

·
  • RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    Looks good! I'm a fan of no foil.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 9,961
    Nom Nom Nom! Looking awesome.
    ·
  • 500 said:
    Looks like you made it. You must be on the road now. I would have pulled a little sooner at 195*, but I'm no expert. So it was no foil all the way. Super.
    @500
    I wish I had marked them, I could tell a difference, one was a tad juicier.  

·
  • RLeeper said:
    Looks good! I'm a fan of no foil.
    thanks bud, Im try slight variations of this next time I do butts. I think that it might need a little time in the foil, bark was great, but some parts where a little dry, very small parts of the ends.
    Nom Nom Nom! Looking awesome.
    thanks boss, tasty too!

·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    I have found if you foil around 160 you may lose a little bark but you will have ALOT of juice. But it's like you said if your cooking for others they probably won't know the difference anyway.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,905
    Looks like it turned out great! Nicely done =D> Going to make everybody happy with a BGE food delivery service like that!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • @shtgunal3
    I think some foil needs to be incorporated but at 160 It wasn't quiet there. Maybe wait until it hits the stall at 170 and foil and crank it up to 350ish

·
  • AltonAlton Posts: 431
    Hoping mine comes out the nice tonight
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,174
    Looks great! What did you think of the unfoiled bark eventually? I like that its a little bit crunchier.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • Both look good to me, great job
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • Very nice, looks like it must have been fantastic!!!
    :)>-
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·