Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adding wood when cooking indirect?

Does anyone have any tricks for adding wood when cooking indirect?  I have a medium egg with a woo and pizza stone to cook indirect. 

Energy efficiency  would suggest that I heat up the pizza stone while I am starting up the charcoal and letting the coals offgas.  However, that involves removing the woo plus pizza stone, tossing in some wood, and then putting back the woo plus pizza stone before adding the item to be cooked  This works since I have welder's gloves, but it still a pain the neck and potentially runs the risk of a burn (if you're not fast).

The alternative is to get the charcoal started, add the wood, put on the woo plus pizza stone, add the item to be cooked, and then wait for the egg to come up to temp.  This method works, but seems energy inefficient.

Any suggestions?

Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    You decide the route you want to take as most any road will get you there with the BGE-your call WRT efficiency and ease of use etc.  That said, I load the lump and chips/chunks throughout the lump load then fire it up.  Load the hardware (platesetter, drip pan, cooking grid(s) etc.) then set the vents wait for the good smelling smoke and load the target meat(s).  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    If you load some small splits vertically or at an angle when you're loading the lump there will always be some wood burning.  Or you can just put in a layer of lump, 2-3 chunks of wood, another layer of lump, 2-3 more chunks, more lump... There will always be a chunk or two burning.  
  • I use platesetter, but I simply pullit it out quickly and insert 1-2 chunks of smoke wood directly into the fire and start cooking.  It is a bit of a "dance move" to do this  quickly, having the chucks sitting right beside the Egg is helpful and it can be very quick.

Can you pull the whole woo out and the stone comes out with it?

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    For indirects, I mix chunks in with the lump in a spiral pattern from the center out, start the lump in one spot in the center, put on the plate setter, put on the grate, stabilize to the desired temperature, wait until the smoke smells good, put on the food.  The spiral pattern ensures smoke throughout the cook without ever having to add wood.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited February 2013
    I use that set-up and generally don't preheat my stone.  I think the energy loss is not significant enough to matter, not to mention that some of that heat is captured in the Egg's ceramics if the lid is closed.  The amount of extra coal burned isn't going to be make or break my total coal usage.  

I do see an advantage of preheating the stone if I'm pressed for time. 

I mix chunks in the coals if I'm doing a long cook like a butt.  If I'm doing something that is a short cook (i.e., 1 hr of less), I heat the coals and stabilize the Egg, then drop in 2 chunks, add the stone, and put my food on.  The chunks I get now are pretty big, so I'm a little more conservative about how I use them.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I use chips, not chunks, and mix them in before starting the fire.  When I forget to do that, which is about half the time  :\"> I use a standard gardening trowel to slide the chips in without having to move the platesetter; works pretty well.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Buy Tom's AR when it is available for the medium and load away without taking anything out.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Load smoke wood before the start. Some might burn off with the VOCs but not much if you take some care in how you disperse the chips/chunks. Lots of suggestions for a successful cook in the comments above. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I fashioned a platesetter holder.  Slide it in and lift the PS right up, throw in wood, place right back. 
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • Eggucator said:
    I fashioned a platesetter holder.  Slide it in and lift the PS right up, throw in wood, place right back. 
    For the folks who want to take their setters out, either to add wood or change set-up, you could sell these (Hey Tom are you listening?)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    The pswoo has handles to pull out the plate setter too.