Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leak at back of gasket

Options
BTG
BTG Posts: 76
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my large egg for about 4 mos. now. I cook about 7 times per week. In the last week I have started having a large gap (1/16 of an inch or so) from about 11 o'clock to 5 o'clock (the spring hinge is at 12 o'clock). If I pull on the lid handle forward and to my left I can nearly eliminate the gap but if returns with each opening. My band bolts are tight. What is the best way to fix this problem? I assume there are some of the bolts on the spring hinge that need work. I don't have the clamp to hold the spring closed as my dealer delivered it assembled. I suppose I could get one from my dealer though if needed. Any help is appreciated in advance. [p]Thnaks,[p]BTG

Comments

• Eggcentric
    Options
    I had a similar problem. (Seems like others do too.) I just loosened the bolts some and had someone push down on the lid very hard while I tightened the bolts thoroughly.
  • Eggcentric
    Options
    I had a similar problem. (Seems like others do too.) I just loosened the bolts some and had someone push down on the lid very hard while I tightened the bolts thoroughly.

Sorry. duplicate post. Now if I could just figure out how I did that.
  • J Straus
    J Straus Posts: 54
    Options
    BTG,[p]7 times a week eh? Well that's a darn good average. I'd be burning my furniture to keep up with you! [p]Anyway, try loosening the top band with the egg closed and when it's loose, wiggle and push the top down so that it seats. Then re-tighten the top band and you should definitely see a better seal. I had to do that periodically with my old release type hinge because the lid is heavy and sometimes it would creep open at the rear and would have a hard time keeping low temps.[p]I think it would work also with a spring hinge, but SOMEONE JUMP IN HERE NOW if there is a risk of the hinge springing open when loose. In any case, be careful not to let the hinge pop up when you do this so that you can re-seat and realign the top to the bottom.[p]Good luck![p]Justin
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    J Straus,[p]I just did that last week on my spring assisted band. Worked like a charm.