Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is This a Cult or What???

Anthony Up North
Anthony Up North Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been away aspell. Read all the posts upon my return. Saw the one accusing you all of being cultists. Here's a high five to all your wonderful and often witty defenses - you cultists you!!!![p]As a new-comer who reads many (most?) of your posts I can only say: you should all take a collective bow.... I (and I am sure uncounted others) have learned much about grillin and smokin on this page from many of you. For the most part, regardless of how dumb some of the questions are (I'm referring to mine), and how many times they are asked, your answers are given with cheer and courtesy. [p]The friends that my wife and I have entertained since I got my BGE, simply cannot get over the wonderful tastes coming off it. Frankly even I am surprised at how much better the food tastes. Only those whose taste buds are entirely disconnected (in other words taste buds as dead as a stinking cat) will deny that.[p]Who cares what a few (one?) call(s) us, as long as we help each other enjoy life in a healthy way, and enjoy ourselves doing it.[p]
SO: THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! for your help through the advice you all give on this page. I know I will need a lot more help from you all in time to come. I thank you in advance for your patience. [p]Anthony

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Anthony Up North,
    Well, Webster's says a cult is "a formal religious veneration" or "a system of religious beliefs and ritual".[p]Kind of doubt we are that! What we are starts with "cul" though. Culinary School![p]Seriously, I can totally relate with the way you feel about this forum. It is amazing how well the cycle works. The more info you get from these great folks, the more you feel the neeed to give back your experiences and secrets. People coughing up secrets is contagious! I learned so much in the first month that I felt like I owed more than I could give back. [p]The amazing thing is that I have met many of these people, and they are just as great in person. [p]Nice you have you along!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Anthony Up North,
    Nice comments from a new user - all cultists thank you. I read that post last week and have thought about it on and off for a week now. Your post brought it back to mind again. As one of the cultists I have decided what intrigues me about the BGE is that it has become a hobby. I often become passionate with my hobbies, and I have several, but never did I imagine becoming passionate about a cooker. I have had Webbers, no name grills, hibachis, etc and never even got close to passionate about them - not even remotely close to it. Then I fell into this thing and all of a sudden I have a tool that makes wonderful ribs, chicken, pulled pork (who can make PP with a Webber?) and sears the best steaks I have ever eaten at home. Well - I have become passionate about the big green things. Then add that you can have dozens and dozens of cooking instructors at your finger tips to help you learn to use the new tool - wow! Yes I am passionate about the BGE and the wonderful folks here who give and never ever receive. Call me a cultist but show me the Ducane or Webber or Brickman site that does that??
    Ed Fisher -- I love ya!![p]Tim --- when is the next full moon meeting?

• Tim M,[p]You express my thinking perfectly. I too did not think I could get as passionate about any other hobby as I do my photography (over the past 25 years). But low and behold the BGE and the interchange on this page has got me hooked.[p]Do you hearing me breathing hard?[p]Anthony

• Nature Boy,[p]Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate that. But it will take a bit more experience before I feel comfortable "giving" advice. I need to pick your brains a bit more and learn lots more before I can do that.[p]But I will share my successes and well as disasters with you all for what they are worth.[p]Thanks for all the help you have given me.[p]Anthony
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Anthony Up North,[p]If we are a cult, I am secure in stating that eating is a very high desire and is much more universal than the credo of your average cult. If learning to use your cooking equipment to make better tasting food defines us as a cult, then I am a cultist. I would offer that, as a forum dedicated to the sharing, learning, and use of a single product, maybe we should be called a cult when compared to the many other internet forums. [p]There are no dumb questions, just honest questions that require an honest answer. This forum exists only for the help, sharing, and advancement of our own cooking abilities.[p]I like to think of this forum as a standard that is then called a cult when measured against other forums.[p]Spin[p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Anthony Up North,
    I bet you could answer a newbies question about how to get lump!! And what a trivet is! And I am sure a lot more.[p]Sharing experiences and disaster reports help newbies, and eggsperts alike. [p]Tim, where is that meeting again?? I will wear my lucky charm bird's nest cast iron grate, and be sporting my big green egg beer koozie, apron, t-shirt and oven mit!![p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Anthony Up North,
    You are entirely welcome! I've always felt good about being part of the forum, but it brings much "sweeter" justification when someone like your self comes out and says it! With two of our 3 kids, a brother, a brother-in-law and 3 work associates now confirmed BGE'ers it makes you really feel good to know that they can come to the "forum" and 'listen-in' or go to the forum for honest down to earth help! Plus know that they are learning how to 'fix' fantastic dishes.
    People like Char-Woody, Elder Ward, Spin, GFW, Sprinter, Natureboy, Tim M, KOC, Cat, JJ, Mary, Fritz, Gretl and many many more not mentioned have made and continue to make this forum what it is. As long as we have people like that and people like you, the forum will continue to be what it was intended to be, what it is and what it will mature to be..... people helping other people![p]Good to have you and good to hear from you![p]
    Dr. Chicken[p]So what if others think we are "cultists"? We all know better!

• Tim M
    homer2.gif
    <p />Nature Boy,[p]""Tim, where is that meeting again?? I will wear my lucky charm bird's nest cast iron grate, and be sporting my big
    green egg beer koozie, apron, t-shirt and oven mit!!""[p]Oohh, I think we will be sure to bring along the web digital cam when next we visit our good brother Egg'er to the north! I want to capture that image for all the forum to see. [p]Good point about all joining in to add what they can. Even if someone feels uncomfortable giving advice, everyone can share there experiences and discoveries - many out there lurk and never post so we have a wide mix of Eggsperts to fisrt time visitors here. Never be afraid to post, well maybe no squid posts.....[p]Tim

• Dr. Chicken
    Tim M,
    or sweet potato posts!!!!

• Tim M
    Dr. Chicken,
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, sweet potato is the pass word. [p]Tim

• Dr. Chicken
    Tim M,
    You must've had your ears burning, knowing I would take that & run!!!

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    S10_07_9918_00_00.jpg
    <p />Dr. Chicken, because they must be your favorites...

• Gfw
    Tim M, damm... you weren't suppose to tell. Now you'll never know who will show up!

• Gfw
    PorkT_06_13_0018_06_03.jpg
    <p />Dr. Chicken, I found a better one... hope you enjoy. Don't ofrget the password!

• Tim M
    Gfw,[p]My, those are some nice taters you got there!![p]Tim
  • Gfw
    Tim M, I got the recipe from Dr. Chicken a while back - he said they are among his favorites!

• Dr. Chicken
    Gfw,
    You only wish!!![p]You two guys are a couple of doosey's!!!

• Dr. Chicken,[p]You listed many of the people that have inspired me the most. I don't want to say all, because there are others, and I surely don't want to omit anyone. There are too many way to mention that they have been helpful And as I have said, they (includinging you) have all been very gracious about the whole process on the forum.[p]Anthony[p] [p]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Anthony Up North, well said. [p]I haven't read the posts below, and hope I don't trip on someones tongue. Been some slight of hand product comparisons below, and I for one, will always tell em, they cook the same. Be it "John"s statement down below, or any other "BrandX"[p]But what we have here on the BGE forum is the icing on the cake. Experience, friendship, comaradre, and sharing.[p]Someday, given time, they too shall work and earn the respect and confidence of the public. There is plenty of room for great cooks with great cookers...no matter the color or trademark on it.[p]Here it happen's to be BGE..and BGE earned the spot. 30 years of confidence building and customer support. What more can you ask for? And they continue to offer it.[p]The BGE competition has learned much from this forum and the product improvements and continue to capitalize on it. Thats the American way. BGE treaded the rough waters on their own. Also the American way...God Bless...
    Char-Woody [p]

• Char-Woody,[p]Well said.... Thanks to you.[p]Anthony
  • Char-Woody, I pride myself in being able to express my thoughts in writing----I bow to the master--your silver tongued comments place me in the audience admiring a true wonder. Thanks for the humor, straight forward comments, and the great ideas on how to make the egg a better place to live.
    Yours in awe and the egg--The Colonel

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    The Colonel, Shucks..I am humbled! Thanks!
    C~W