Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Scallops on my new toy

Haven't posted any pics in a while. My wife gave me a cast iron half moon grill for my birthday. I finally got around to using it. I did scallops for about 30sec/side with a little oil, salt, pepper. Had grilled salad and risotto on the side. Balsamic glaze on top of it all. It was one of the best meals I have had recently.

Also, I got a meat slicer for Christmas and have been wearing out some smokey turkey breast. Wife and kids love it. I threw in one pic of that.

Thanks for looking.

imageimageimage
XL,L,S 
Winston-Salem, NC 
·

Comments

• Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,906
    edited February 2013
    Looks great and a perfect use of the half moon griddle! 
    =D>

I have been making turkey breasts for lunch meat as well, but am still looking for the right slicer. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • lilwootylilwooty Posts: 210

Nice sear on those scallops.  That's the way it's done!  That meal looks scrumptious.  

=P~

Living Large and XL

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,044
    Well done. I think a half moon griddle is on my ever growing, not neccessary, but effin happening list. Thanks.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • Very good! I have that 1/2 moon griddle now I just need some scallops
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,560
    Thanks. I have done fish on it also. Thinking of seeing how hot I can get it for a reverse sear on a steak.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • I love scallops and that looks great! I am new to the BGE world, and I had never even heard of the 1/2 moon griddle.

It looks like something I could certainly use.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
    ·
  • Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448

Nice, love scallops. I have that half moon set up also and last friday I blackened some tuna steaks and they were almost gone when I got in the house. All I heard before I put them on was "I'm not eatin none of that red crap!" Yeah, keep talkin.

·
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 603
    Nice looking food. Smoked turkey would be a great go to when there are no left overs.

XLBGE, LBGE growing accessories.

Want: Ceramicgrillworks 2 tier large, Dutch oven, Cyber Q Wifi

Grenada, MS

·
  • tamu2009tamu2009 Posts: 274
    I finally have my wife on board for the BGE by showing her these pictures. She loves scallops and has been wanting a smoke turkey for a while.

Thanks for the help on selling her!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
    ·
    tamu2009 said:
    I finally have my wife on board for the BGE by showing her these pictures. She loves scallops and has been wanting a smoke turkey for a while.

Thanks for the help on selling her!

that's great. makes my day.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • There have been some slicer threads lately and it's got me started to looking at them too.  If you've posted I apologize, but what type did you get and are you happy with it?  Thx.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • It's hard not to overcook scallops -- your sear looks like you have it down to a science -- i have plenty of CI, but the half moon is on my "NEED" list !!  Thanks for posting..
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    What else would you use a CI griddle for? I have one but have never used it.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • Hoow about blackening fish or chicken?? 
    ·
  • RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    Hoow about blackening fish or chicken?? 

I have used mine for scallops, blackening fish, panini sandwiches, steaks, and burgers using the reverse sear method.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
    ·
    The other side has ridges, kind of a "mangrate" vibe going on. I am going to try some burgers with it. The kids want pancakes and eggs of it too.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • Thanks for the suggestions. Seared bacon wrapped scallops tonight in a cast iron skillet. Scored serious points with the better half. As always ... Never cook enough.
    ·
  • shtgunal3 said:
    What else would you use a CI griddle for? I have one but have never used it.
    try burgers...they are very good on the half moon Ci. I do them all the time...turns out great1
    Brandon, MS
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,775
    That's a lovely looking plate. The baslamic sounds tasty!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
    Thanks for the comments. I made turkey burgers on the other side of the half moon last night and they were a big hit. I really like that thing so far.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • mb99zzmb99zz Posts: 182
    The scallops look fantastic.  Love the sliced turkey too....makes me want to get a slicer.  
    ·