Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turbo Boston butt

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
edited October 2012 in Forum List
I'm going to try a turbo 5lb butt today. I'm giving myself at least 1 hr per pound. Do I go direct or indirect?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Indirect. Check Mickey's post on the subject.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Indirect at 350 dome until 165 internal. Foil. Cook to 200. About an hour per pound but it varies each time.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options

The turbo experience is gleaned from the elevated cook temperature-the cook style (direct/indirect-raised grid or not) remains the same-at least from my experience and reading posts from the turbo eggsperts.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Did 4.5lb @ 350 indirect. 2hr 17min hit 160 (then foiled) ((( you do not have to foil))) at 3hr. 15min total at 195 and into the butt box. (((You do not have to box))) Had good bark just not what the long ones have. The product was outstanding. Butt Rub on last night.Added pecan chunks to fire.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    Options
    5 lb...I'm at 136 around 2 hrs in. Keeping it at 350....would Like to be done in 4 hrs. Fingers crossed.
  • Teddyballgame
    Options
    need to cook 3 boston butts for family. can i cook three at one time with same heat/time or will i need higher dome temps?
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    need to cook 3 boston butts for family. can i cook three at one time with same heat/time or will i need higher dome temps?
    Same temps, but the added mass may or may not add time. Check your temps and tenderness on all as they may not all finish at the same time. Remember that wherever the different butts touch you will not get bark.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Same temp.  Time per pound is per roast, not total pounds.  So if it takes an hour/lb and you have 3 5lb butts, it's 5 hours, not 15.
    Options
    ...provided they're not tied together. 
    After injecting my butts, i cook them "low and slow" with plenty of pecan - indirect at 240 degrees until it reaches 160 degrees(2 1/2 hours), then foiled(three layers) back on the same grill, increase the temperature to 300 to 330 until i reach 210.  Total guess-ta-ment on time overall --six hours.  Doing three at a time might add an hour to the entire cooking time..
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    ...provided they're not tied together. 
    ......or 23 lbs on a medium in 2 pieces(~12 and 11 lbs each) A bit of a tight fit. Only took 12 hours, though.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I turbo'd a 5lber yesterday. Put on @ 350 @ 11:00am . Foiled @ 160 @ 2:30pm. FTC @ 200 @ 4:15pm. Pulled @ 6:30. It was still piping hot and full of juice. Boy that's a lot of @'s.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Can u post this cook. When I get home, around midnight, I'm firing up the egg for two 8 # gonna do a modified turbo nitro or something. Need it to be quick!

XLBGE 
  • henapple
    Options
    It's been a while. it cooked much quicker...5 hrs, maybe 6.