Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

White Residue

Options
I fired up my egg last night to do some jerk thighs and halfway through the cook my egg started producing white smoke. I opened up the egg and noticed  white residue all over. I had initially assumed it was from the jerk paste, but the bottom of the plate setter was coated in white powder when I pulled it out.

So what happened? The lump inside my egg was mixture of lump from a previous cook (pulled pork and ABTs) along with some new lump. (All the lump came from the same bag) I previously had some hickory chunks and apple wood which were cleaned out before this cook. 

I plan on dumping all the lump and cleaning the egg out, but I am still curious as to what happened. I have never encountered white smoke like that before.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    If it was dust-like, did you stir the old lump before you put new in to knock off the ash? Did you have the platesetter or any ceramic heat deflector in that had any buildup?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • krames
    krames Posts: 70
    Options
    I raked around the lump before firing it up and cleaned out any excess from the bottom of the egg. I didn't have any build up to speak of on the plate setter.

Any ideas?