Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Chicken Cordon Bleu

allsidallsid Posts: 388
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
I was inspired by a recipe on SVKITCHEN.COM  to make Chicken Cordon Bleu but I wanted to put an eggers spin on the dish.  

Using chicken thighs instead of breasts the ideas was to ball them up in plastic wrap for the SV portion of the cook
Chicken Thighs, Prosciutto, and Cheese went down and then got wrapped up tight

Pouches got a second seal in the food saver-

And then off to the hot water bath for 90 minimage

Meanwhile, Spagetti Squash went on to the Egg to roast

Chicken came out of the water bath looking quite anemic 
And then got wrapped in Prosciutto before grilling & smoking

Carrots & butter in the Sous Vide 
Chicken smoking away on the small

Until they looked done

On to the plate with the carrots, spaghetti squash, and some artichoke dip-

Inside the Chicken Cordon Bleu-

For a more detailed explanation, you can check out the longer version here:

Thanks for looking!
·

Comments

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,422
    Interesting cook. Very nicely done
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • Looks great - how long did you cook the squash!  

·
  • allsidallsid Posts: 388
    Looks great - how long did you cook the squash!  

thanks-  the squash went about 50 min
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,449
    Man that looks tasty. Great cook!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • Where did you get the water bath container with the lid cut-out?  I was going to get a container and cut the lid.  Is that what you did?
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
    ·
    Where did you get the water bath container with the lid cut-out?  I was going to get a container and cut the lid.  Is that what you did?
    I ordered it with my kit from Polyscience.  Pro's-  fits perfect, less evaporation.  Con's-  it takes a lot of water to fill that thing.  So if you are doing a short cook, it is kind of a waste of water.  You may have better luck @ a restaurant supply store getting  a couple of used cambro's.
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,196
    That looks cool!  Never seen anything quite like that.  Nicely done!
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • allsid said:
    Where did you get the water bath container with the lid cut-out?  I was going to get a container and cut the lid.  Is that what you did?
    I ordered it with my kit from Polyscience.  Pro's-  fits perfect, less evaporation.  Con's-  it takes a lot of water to fill that thing.  So if you are doing a short cook, it is kind of a waste of water.  You may have better luck @ a restaurant supply store getting  a couple of used cambro's.

thanks for the feed back.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,236
    @allsid, neat cook. I like how the prosciutto replaces the breadcrumbs. How were the carrots? I've read that SV is one of the best ways to cook them, as they get really "carrot-y".
    ·
  • Nice cook! :D
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
    @allsid, neat cook. I like how the prosciutto replaces the breadcrumbs. How were the carrots? I've read that SV is one of the best ways to cook them, as they get really "carrot-y".
    Frankly, my carrots were under done, way under done.  I may be off with my numbers but I think the carrots were supposed to cook at 180 or so and for what ever reason I cooked them much lower.  We love dill carrots tho- and I will try them again soon.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,697
    Nice. I like the use of prosciutto instead of ham.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • What did you put on the squash ?? RUB ?
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,236
    allsid said:
    Frankly, my carrots were under done, way under done.  I may be off with my numbers but I think the carrots were supposed to cook at 180 or so and for what ever reason I cooked them much lower.  We love dill carrots tho- and I will try them again soon.
    I think you need them to go up to 183 to start breaking Pectin down.(It is what holds cell walls together)
    ·
    What did you put on the squash ?? RUB ?
    I used dizzy dust.  I have not tried the DP curry, but have had great luck using curry on spag squash.
    ·
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 600
    Good walk through and awesome looking food. I love new ideas.

XLBGE, LBGE growing accessories.

Want: Ceramicgrillworks 2 tier large, Dutch oven, Cyber Q Wifi

Grenada, MS

·