Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

CI Pizza fail....

I have a 10" skillet and I've been buying my dough from my local pizza guy for pizzas on the stone.  I told him what I was attempting and he sold me a dough ball for a 10" pizza.  The crust didn't bake up the sides of the skillet so it wasn't technically "deep dish".  I'm guessing I needed more dough?  Any thoughts or suggestions?  

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,532
    Did you let the dough ball rest in the pan to come up to room temperature? It will usually spread to the edges.
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,582
    edited February 2013
    Yep. Not enough dough. I buy 1 lb dough balls from a bakery for my skillet pies. If I roll out I can make a thin 16" pie. You can throw it in skillet. Even if you push it out and it doesn't touch the sides of the skillet it does when it cooks and fills the skillet. Not enough dough.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • @Eggcelsior, I did let it rest to room temp, but thanks for the reply.  @Chubbs, that's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure.  Thanks for the help!
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,874
    edited February 2013
    Good info bc I'll be doing one soon
    Boom
  • you need at least a 14-16 ounce dough ball for a 10" deep dish.  At our pizza place we used a 20 ounce dough ball for a 13 x 9 square pan pizza.  10 ounce dough ball is not enough for any real pizza.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,066
    I'm thinking its the dough. There are all types of dough for different styles of crust. The kind I use on my deep dish is more wet compared to what I use for thinner crust. I don't push it out or stretch it out, just drop it in the skillet and over time while its resting at room temperature it will "flow" out to fill the bottom of the skillet.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,186
    edited February 2013
    Like Griff said, dough must be "wetter" than that used for stone pizza - and I use Crisco in the skillet. Deep dish needs the oil. Flop the dough into the skillet and push it up the sides.
    I have a 10" skillet with a "saute" pan side, much easier to form dough to than my other right angled CI skillet. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!  Much appreciated!
  • MikeP624MikeP624 Posts: 292

Check out this link.  The dough is definitely different than normal pizza.  There is also a difference deep dish (chicago pizza) and pan pizza.  The attached link is for pan pizza (also called detroit style i think).

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html?ref=search