Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Lighting a frozen Egg

Went out to light the large Egg for tonight's Flat Iron Steak and the lid was frozen solid.  Wouldn't even budge.  I lit 3 oil soaked paper towels and stuck them in the bottom door.  Waited about 15 minutes, and came out to a fully lit Egg, already at 475 degrees and no bad smoke.  Wasn't sure I had enough lump, but figured it was a quick cook, so I prepped the steak, sprinkled on some Texas Roadhouse Rib Rub and threw it on.  5 - 6 minutes a side and it was at 225 and ready to rest.  Only 40 minutes after finding a frozen stuck Egg, we were ready to eat.  I never lit from the bottom through the vent before, but it worked amazing.

Comments

• My buddy always lights his egg through the bottom vent. He uses newspaper. I looked at him like he was nuts when I saw him do it. He said he didn't know there was another way.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • I have done that also when frozen. Once it's burning you have to do something with it!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
    ·
  • I've never had that problem here in the south but I've read on the forum about a lot of people using newspaper through the bottom vent door
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 566
    that's kind of interesting to think about .. is it as easy as .. light from the bottom for high temp and light from the top for low temp?
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    I'll be lighting from the bottom for my next high heart cook to see if it is reproducible and lights as quickly.
  • jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 962
    Just curious: is this with the factory installed grate, or was this with a Hi Que type grate? I can't see how the small holes in the factory installed grate would allow enough flame to get up there to light the lump.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Factory installed grate
  • There are alot of people that light the egg from the bottom, I like going from the top. 
    ·