Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Drying/Seasoning pecan chunks

Had a pecan branch fall in my backyard. I chunked it up and have it inside drying.

Question is...
How long, if at all, do I need to let it dry? And, is it necessary to remove the bark?
·

Comments

• Myron Mixon uses fresh cut peach limbs for his cooks. Your pecan chunks may be ready for use.  Throw a chunk in your egg while it warms up and see how it smells. Typicially wood takes several months to dry out. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.  I hope you find out more.  Its certanily a good question.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

·
  • I'm not an expert but I use pecan limbs a friend brings me. I let them dry and remove the bark (I think the bark imparts a bitterness) but it's not necessary. Old BBQ places just split logs and throw them in bark and all.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    All my wood, pecan & hickory is from trees I cut up. Have never removed bark or worried about letting it dry out. I have used just bark off some big oak trees. Light it up, it will dry as it burns.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,588
    I burn my Hickory bark with no after taste. I've always seasoned my chunks.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Green wood is fine to use, just smokes more so use less of it and no need to remove the bark. 
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,935
    For a smoke wood, green is fine. 

·
  • Ok good. I'll smoke away.
    ·
  • Had a friend drop off a double pick up truck of green pecan about a year and a half ago.  He came across a road gang removing a huge tree from the roadway. they cut what he wanted right there.  I started using it green, and now it is dried out and i am about have way through it and i see no difference -- but i am spoiled by this stuff !  Found a source -- but it's gonna cost me $160 for a pallet.
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,361
    ^^^ $160 for a pallet is still way better than retail.  Enjoy the deal.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
  • I am not complaining at all.  I am sold on pecan, and there are a few pecan farmers around my area.  I might try to make a deal with an individual???  My present supply is split into two to three inch diameter pieces about six inches long  --  perfect for my egging!!
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,468
    edited February 2013
    Also get shells and use them as well.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    @mickey my Dad used to have us kids pick up hickory nuts and he would throw them in the BBQ/smoker.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·