Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying 1/2 cow

Options
2»

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options

@maskedmarvel

I sent you a PM.

XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    How many cubic ft is your freezer to hold 1/4 cow which I assume is 150-200 pounds?

@SWVABeanCounter
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I believe the 1/4 cow I am getting is going to be between 200 and 250 pounds. I need to buy a freezer this week and am looking at a 13 cubic foot chest freezer.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    So Putty I should expect about ~$800 for the 1/4 cow?
    Boom
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Eatwild.com was very helpful to me. Just sent out a few emails for pricing. Wife's on board. Thought might use tax return and load up 1/4 beef 1/2 pig and some chickens... Maybe

XLBGE 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Just talked to our local butcher. They get 3.89lb for cow and 2.39lb for pig. That is them supplying the cow/pig. And of course the prices are subject to change. You can get 1/4 , 1/2, or whole

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

Just talked to our local butcher. They get 3.89lb for cow and 2.39lb for pig. That is them supplying the cow/pig. And of course the prices are subject to change. You can get 1/4 , 1/2, or whole

I think those prices are pretty good man.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options

So Putty I should expect about ~$800 for the 1/4 cow?

Yes. We pay $7-800

XLBGE 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I have bought a lot of meat from them and it is good meat. I've only bought it by the pack before. If you get whole or half you choose how they cut it. If you get 1/4 you get what they call a "standard cut".

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• jeroldharter
    Options
    Just asking, but who wants to eat frozen steaks? I've never had one that tastes as good as fresh. Apart from the lower cost, am I missing something?

if quality meat and flash frozen and properly sealed there shouldn't be any degradation in flavor for a short term period, say 12 months or less. You buy a select grade ribeye from local grocer and freeze in the styrofoam and Saran Wrap is comes in the I could see where it might not be as good. Unless you have world class taste buds be hard to tell difference in a blind taste test
    That's good to know. Maybe I have not had the good stuff. Thanks.