Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deli Style Roast Beef

I want to make some homemade roast beef for sandwiches. It seems pretty easy. The recipe I was going to follow said to use eye round roast, season as desired (black pepper, salt, garlic powder and onion powder) and then cook at 500 for 20 minutes and then drop temp to 300 until I reach the desired internal temp. To make the recipe more egg compatible I was going to roast at 250 indirect until an internal temp of 115, and then raise the temp and sear all sides.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Does using a better cut of meat make any sense? Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Eye round is a little on the tough side. If you have a slicer you could cut it very thin. I did my roast beef for sandwiches with a sirloin tip roast, raised grate, direct, 325 until it reached 120. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Substitute the roast for top or bottom round, sirloin or rum. They tend to be more flavorful.
  • Substitute the roast for top or bottom round, sirloin or rum. They tend to be more flavorful.
    I'll have the Captain Morgan, to heck with the beef..... 
    Use a meat tenderizer with eye of round, slice it thin, it is ideal. You do not have to sear the roast for deli sammies, the crust is nice if you plan to eat it and use the leftovers for a deli cut. 
    I do mine at 350 until the IT is about 130, pull it, cool it and slice it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Roast Beast makes tasty subs!
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited February 2013

Substitute the roast for top or bottom round, sirloin or rum. They tend to be more flavorful.

I'll have the Captain Morgan, to heck with the beef..... 
    Use a meat tenderizer with eye of round, slice it thin, it is ideal. You do not have to sear the roast for deli sammies, the crust is nice if you plan to eat it and use the leftovers for a deli cut. 
    I do mine at 350 until the IT is about 130, pull it, cool it and slice it. 

Yarrrr, matey! Avast ye damned auto correct!

I would go with the rum too. Don Julio for me. :ar!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    I thought Don Julio was Tequila. What do I know? ;)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.