Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Are these really baby back ribs?

PacuarePacuare Posts: 75
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a package of ribs labeled baby back ribs at the commissary the other week. The package weighed 3.93 lbs. Normally I pay more attention to the meat I am buying but I just kind of grabbed these with only looking at the sell by date and price per lb. When I got them out of the package to throw on the egg this afternoon I was surprised by how big and meaty they were and by the extra bones over part of the racks. I have only cooked ribs a couple of time and usually it is spare ribs. I posted a couple of quick pictures I took while I was in the middle of prepping the ribs below. I trimmed some fat off the meat side and pulled the membrane off the bone side. There was a line of fat that ran the length of the rack perpendicular to the bones and appeared to run deep and there was a second level of short bones over part of the rack. Should I have trimmed this off? I am really a novice with ribs and would love some input. I tried doing a quick google search of the forum and the Internet but couldn't find anything. I have one kid with pneumonia and one with strep so I mostly had to make a quick decision and throw the ribs on the egg while I could. I would like to be able to make a more educated decision in the future. Meat side rubbed with mustard and dizzy dust. I forgot to take a picture before applying the mustard. http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee373/pacuare11/15B9FE19-7A74-4A0F-8CBF-03D1D7041C48-5202-0000050494D70E34_zps072ee315.jpg Two pictures of the bone side http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee373/pacuare11/9163907D-7CEF-48E3-9DE4-8DE070CF690D-5202-00000504A5E16B7D_zps416339ed.jpg http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee373/pacuare11/8CFC05F1-539B-4242-8903-955771A56B56-5202-00000504B35FB051_zpsd3740ac1.jpg
·

Comments

• SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,705
    Yes. They look like baby. Better than spare IMO.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    Looks like baby backs to me. Nicely done with mustard and Dizzy Dust. I did the same thing on saturday! Ribs and Turkey Breast Dizzy Pig Style
    and they turned out great! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,408
    Those indeed appear to be loin back ribs. Yum!
    ·
  • Great. Thanks for the feedback. I didn't expect a rack of baby back ribs to be almost 4 lbs for one rack. I am trying turbo ribs right now - 350 dome temp for 2-3 hrs depending on the bend test. Hopefully they will be a success.
    ·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 851
    My favorite. Meaty and so less fatty than spares. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,879
    edited February 2013
    Yep...those are baby backs aka "loin back" ribs.  Sometimes I get a rack and they are really meaty...almost like getting small bone in pork chops!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • PacuarePacuare Posts: 75
    edited February 2013
    The ribs turned out great. They had a good balance of smoke, rub, and meat taste and were very tender and moist. They took about 2 hrs and 45 minutes until they passed the bend test. 

My husband kept saying how good they were while eating them. I will definitely be repeating this cook again soon.  Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    Looks good!  =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • Looks good, this link gives a good idea where the different rib cuts come from. 

Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,063
    Beeeeeaaaauuutiful! Those look great.

I like to apply a rub with more heat on the bottom side, and a different rub on the top/meat side. The first notes are hot as the bone side hits your tongue, then the flavor changes a bit as you bite through the meat. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • looks good !!!!!! doin ribs this weekend,would love to find baby backs that big!!!!ill look around!!! ^#(^
    ·
  • caliking said:
    Beeeeeaaaauuutiful! Those look great.

I like to apply a rub with more heat on the bottom side, and a different rub on the top/meat side. The first notes are hot as the bone side hits your tongue, then the flavor changes a bit as you bite through the meat. 

that sounds like a great idea!the wife doesnt like the heat but i do,she like sweet,so ill try your method heat on bottom sweet on top!!!!hopefully they'll balance out and she'll love em!!!then slowly bring on the heat for everything!!!

~:>
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,717
    Yep...those are baby backs aka "loin back" ribs.  Sometimes I get a rack and they are really meaty...almost like getting small bone in pork chops!  

That's the way my last rack of baby backs were. Very meaty. That's why I chose them over the others. Looked less fatty as well. They were tasty Turbo Ribs.
    image.jpg 2.4M
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,717
    Good looking ribs @Pacuare. And I woman Egger too. That's cool. Not many here that I know of except Necessary Indulgences. Rock on!
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,408
    500 said:
    Good looking ribs @Pacuare. And I woman Egger too. That's cool. Not many here that I know of except Necessary Indulgences. Rock on!
    Good on all you ladies. Sometimes it seems like we are only a couple of steps above a Star Wars convention. 
    ·