Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

PID temperature control

Here is a pic I took last night of the first "trial by fire" of my homemade temperature control setup. I mostly used stuff I had already in my shop such as the stainless sheet metal, 12vdc power supply and computer fan. I bought the PID controller off of ebay for $20, it came with the thermocouple. It has an auto tune feature that set the PID parameters. I haven't done a lo n slo cook with it yet but I did test it on the egg with a set point of 305*F it held it +/- a couple of degrees for about an hour before I shut it down. I need to do more testing at lower temps, I only chose 305* cause that's where it was when I started testing. I'm posting this from my phone, so I apologize in advance if the picture doesn't post correctly or is the wrong size or whatever. I posted this under my intro post at first, then after thinking about it, decided to redo it here. image
Sorry I can't seem to get the pic rotated correctly, it's right side up before I post it, but then....

Comments

• any more info on how you made it boss? very cool

XLBGE 
  • I hadn't joined this forum yet when I made it, so I didn't do it with sharing the build in mind, in other words I didn't take any pics as I went. I can deconstruct it a little and take pics in a few days when I'm off of work if it'd help. Look at item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=330873985392&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=69384380606. That's the controller is used.
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,546
    Please do offer more details. Thanks to you, I have already been studying up on this. This looks awesome!
  • Thank you eggcelsior! It looks very prototypish to me! There are many improvements I'd like to make, mostly plugs for the 12vdc and the thermocouple. The sheet metal work could use some improvement as well, I just need to buy a sheet metal shear! I love an excuse to buy a tool! I'm at work tonight and tomorrow night so it'll take a couple days for more details, I'll be glad to answer any questions I can in the meantime though
  • Yes, I'd be very interested in building one. Thanks for the idea!

XLBGE 
  • bo_mullbo_mull Posts: 345
    edited February 2013

@smayjr

Here is a thermocouple plug that might work for ya if you decide to make it replaceable

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=119

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• bo_mull said:

@smayjr

Here is a thermocouple plug that might work for ya if you decide to make it replaceable

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=119

Thank you sir!

• here are some more pics:

This was kida just a proof of concept model, the sheet metal work leaves a lot to be desired. I have a box/pan brake that my dad and I went in halves on but he has custody of it! I didn't want to drive to his house to use it so I just struggled with my vise. If it turns out to be functional I will re-do the sheet metal and add plugs for the 12vdc in and the thermocouple.

While testing the temperature controller I had the thermocouple from the controller cilpped to probe on the eggmometer and noticed about a 25*F difference in the reading, with the eggmometer having the lower of the two readings. Earlier I put both of them in boiling water the temp. controller read 212-213*F while the eggmometer read 189-190*F. I don't see a calibration screw on it, so I guess it's trashed. What kind do y'all suggest replacing it with?

• bo_mullbo_mull Posts: 345
    To calibrate the thermometer that came with the egg is easy. There is a nut on the back of the dial. Hold it with a wrench or channel locks and turn the dial face. Its kinda stiff but it will turn.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• bo_mull said:

To calibrate the thermometer that came with the egg is easy. There is a nut on the back of the dial. Hold it with a wrench or channel locks and turn the dial face. Its kinda stiff but it will turn.

Thank you, I didn't think of that... Makes sense tho! The ones we have at work have a screw with a locknut on the back for calibration.
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    Great work here. I've been eyeing up how to make one of these but with build in wifi. This looks more in my price range, but I'll keep looking.
    Dunedin, FL