Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Does your Egg "sweat"?

I've had my LBGE for nearly a year, and have tried all kinds of cooks thanks in large part to this forum.  But tonight after cooking ordinary burgers I opened the bottom vent and let it do a short clean burn to get rid of the grease.

I came back out after about 15 minutes and it looks like my Egg is sweating!  Some brown sweat, which I assume is grease/water and some clear water are coming through the ceramic and the glaze and evaporating off the surface of the hot Egg.

Have you seen this before?  Does it portend something bad?

Comments

• six_eggsix_egg Posts: 616
    Yes, I have seen this before. There are several post about it on the forums. Is it bad? I will leave that to the more experienced eggheads. Mine does sweat but mine is out in the weather. I do use a cover when not cooking. I do cook in the mild rain so moisture gets in my egg. I have had no problems so far.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Texarkana, TX

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,474
    Mine is not outside in the elements and yes mine has sweat before. @Nola or @Eggcelsior will be here shortly
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • LitLit Posts: 4,028
    Yes. My small and XL sit outside covered and my XL does it all the time. It seems to me the newer eggs do it worse like they are more porous. I had 2 larges out back before and they never did it near as bad as my XL.
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,845
    edited February 2013
    Mine does it. In fact sometimes it sweats sticky black stuff. I do not really pay it much attention.
    Boom
  • 500500 Posts: 1,723
    My Large did once. Was very strange to witness.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,309
    edited February 2013
    Someone had a really cool picture of their egg sweating. It's normal, or at least frequent. Mine hasn't done it but its very common. And I would guess its more from the inside out than the outside elements. Combination of moisture and grease seeping out.

XLBGE 
  • Ahh the power of the Interweb

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 

• _______________________________________________

XLBGE 
  • Quick. Change the diaper!
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • Those last two pictures are kinda disgusting looking
    Boom
  • Is that called "burping your egg" /:)
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,006
    do you often use a drip pan filled with liquid?

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• JWBurnsJWBurns Posts: 334
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Easily cleaned when the egg is warm... I wouldn't "sweat" it lol
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,427
    Mine has done this once as well. I did a pizza cook and did not re-cover it since it was still very hot. It rained that night before I covered it the next morning. The next time I did a long cook, the egg sweated like Mr. Burns' egg.

As ceramic is porous, it has tiny little channels and holes that can absorb water(think about clay pot cooking). These little air pockets are what give ceramic it's great insulating ability (like Styrofoam). As the egg is heated, the pores expand and absorb water(from the inside and outside). Over subsequent cooks, the water gets forced out by heat. This is when one sees the sweating.

It seems that the more often one cooks, the less water is present. Also, I bet climate plays a part. Our friends in arid climates probably rarely see this "issue". Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • SundownSundown Posts: 2,913
    only after a really hard work out at the gym.
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,807
    Last time I cranked it up for a clean burn ~550-600 it will sweat like that.  I took a rag and wiped it off (continuously) until it stopped.

Garnerville, NY
  • Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448

I would think it would have to do with where in the country you are located. That looks like a humidity deal to me.

• Mine's done it a bunch of times, 500+ I'll see/smell it.
    Packerland, Wisconsin