Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Still amazes me...

I've had my egg for about 3 years now. I'm still blown away at the efficiency of this thing. I lit up my egg at 10:00 last night...here it is 17.5 hours later...still at target temp. I've barely even messed with the damper and daisy wheel. My personal best is 32 hours straight on one load of lump. :)

Comments

• Wow, 32 hours! Mine is 22. They are crazy efficient.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    32 hours wow! I was just planning on a low and slow in my small to see how long it could go, I'll be using my DigiQ just because I can. Hopefully this weekend or the next. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    This is very reassuring. I'm about to try my first brisket and don't think there's any way to accomplish this without going overnight.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Wow. I have never tried a low and slow, but I will soon. This makes me feel ever better about it!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • What are your bottom and top settings? Can you walk us that struggle through the steps you use. Thanks.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Man, I have gone 22 hours straight, but ran out of fuel with RO.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Jwright11 said:

What are your bottom and top settings? Can you walk us that struggle through the steps you use. Thanks.

Start with a full load of lump, all the way up to your fire ring. I like to light the coals in a few different places on a low and slow. Start with your damper and daisy wheel wide open...when you are getting close to your target temp, start shutting them both down. For a 250 dome temp, you will end up with both your damper and daisy wheel barely cracked open. That's about it.

@Chubbs, I can't remember which brand that was when I got a 32 hour burn...I think it was the weekend warrior, maybe... RO has never lasted me that long. Long enough though. I'm using B&B right now and am still running the same temp....now at 20 hours with plenty of lump left.

• Thanks for the info. I have tried that very thing and only get about 6 hours. I am practicing again this weekend. Not sure why I can't get it to go for more hours. 6 is when the temp starts dropping
  • I am using the regular BGE lump. Have any of you guys ever gotten a long time out of that? I haven't tried a low and slow yet. 

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I am using the regular BGE lump. Have any of you guys ever gotten a long time out of that? I haven't tried a low and slow yet. 

I've gone 26 hours with BGE lump and still had 1/3 of a firebox left.  I burn a lot more in 90 minutes doing pizza than on an overnighter.
  • When i first got my egg --  i was bragging about the "low and slows" -- 18 hours -- 22 hours -- even a 26 hour !!  Trying to explain to my buddies, my schedualing thoughts, a day ahead of my serving time!!!  That was unreal - for me !!  The end result was great -- took sometime a spatchuala to pick up the butt !!  But then, a fisherman confronted me and told me he could do the same thing with his $100 smoker!!!  After about two weeks of hearing him explain "his method"  --  i had to try it.  IT WORKED !!   And it is the basic turbo cook method.  Is it the same product??  So close, i'll sacrifice the overnight cook for the difference --  just my opinion.  And yes, i have run out of lump, and worried during the night...  Again, "there are many ways to skin a cat".........   
  • Chubbs
    edited February 2013
    What are your bottom and top settings? Can you walk us that struggle through the steps you use. Thanks.
    Start with a full load of lump, all the way up to your fire ring. I like to light the coals in a few different places on a low and slow. Start with your damper and daisy wheel wide open...when you are getting close to your target temp, start shutting them both down. For a 250 dome temp, you will end up with both your damper and daisy wheel barely cracked open. That's about it. @Chubbs, I can't remember which brand that was when I got a 32 hour burn...I think it was the weekend warrior, maybe... RO has never lasted me that long. Long enough though. I'm using B&B right now and am still running the same temp....now at 20 hours with plenty of lump left.
    You and I probably have same batch of B&B. I have been getting like 3-5 cooks out of a full firebox lately. Been pretty pleased with it.
  • Chubbs
    Going to do my first low n slow with B&B this weekend.
  • OziEgg
    OziEgg Posts: 48
    edited February 2013
    Ok. Which one is the fire ring? Sorry.
  • The ring is what the grid sits on.

• I've never filled the fire box above the lower ring line. I've gone beyond 20 hours using exclusively BGE lump. No, I don't work for them. I've done several overnights and am always amazed with the consistency of holding temperature.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I love my egg... But my longest cook on a brisket was about 19 hours. That was at about 230 dome... Is it up to the meat? What would take a cook out to 32 hours?
  • OziEgg
    OziEgg Posts: 48

The ring is what the grid sits on.

Thanks.

That's a lot of charcoal.

• Dyal_SC
    hapster said:

I love my egg... But my longest cook on a brisket was about 19 hours. That was at about 230 dome... Is it up to the meat? What would take a cook out to 32 hours?

I smoked up butts, then ribs...then just kept it going to see how long it would go. The cook itself didn't take 32...just had it going for that long is all. :)

• One key if you are having difficulty maintaining temps for this long of a time is to make sure you start with a clean Egg.  If you haven't done it before take the "innards" of the egg out and clean out the ash that builds up between them and the inside of the actual egg.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Couldn't agree more @Scottborasjr.

• YEMTrey said:
    This is very reassuring. I'm about to try my first brisket and don't think there's any way to accomplish this without going overnight.
    Yep - did my first brisket last night on my Large BGE.  Put it on at 10:15 last night, yanked it off at exactly 11:59am this morning.  It was a 9 pound packer that I foiled for the last 3 hours (probably unnecessary).  Most amazing thing is that the firebox was at most 1/3 full, with mostly small bits at that).  At the end of 14 hours there was probably 1/4 of the lump still left.  

30+ hours should be relatively easy with a full firebox and quality lump like Wicked Good, BGE brand or Royal Oak.  I actually like Greenwise from Publix.  Especially when it goes on sale for $4.99.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    hapster said:

Not one thing by itself, but one night I cooked wings, followed by burgers, followed by two butts overnight and then later the next day, my cousin came over and cooked some salmon. Don't really know how long that was, but it was a long time.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Central_Bama_Egger
    Central_Bama_Egger Posts: 886
    edited February 2013
    Chubbs said:

Dyal_SC said:

Jwright11 said:

Start with a full load of lump, all the way up to your fire ring. I like to light the coals in a few different places on a low and slow. Start with your
    damper and daisy wheel wide open...when you are getting close to your target temp, start shutting them both down. For a 250 dome temp, you will end up with both your damper and daisy wheel barely cracked open. That's about it.

@Chubbs, I can't remember which brand that was when I got a 32 hour burn...I think it was the weekend warrior, maybe... RO has never lasted
    me that long. Long enough though. I'm using B&B right now and am still running the same temp....now at 20 hours with plenty of lump left.

You and I probably have same batch of B&B. I have been getting like 3-5 cooks out of a full firebox lately. Been pretty pleased with it.

I have tried this kind and personally can't stand it. It sparks like crazy and does NOT last. I wonder what the difference is. The operator?
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Dyal_SC
    CBE, I think every brand has its finicky moments. RO used to be consistent for me, but then I had some bad experiences with it. B&B has been pretty good for me so far. Not the best I've ever used, but average.
  • Chubbs

Mr Gump would say lump is like a box of chocolates....

Dyal and I are close by so we likely get the same batch. We have both had bad RO lately and good B&B. Just depends on where you are. The RO at the Wal-MArt next to me is always handled poorly--- bags always have holes in it and the pieces are smashed so they are small. Luck of the draw. IMO

• Which lump brands give more smoke flavor? I've read some posts saying certain brands give no flavor but most of my favorite cooks want smoke! Which brand should I get?
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Which lump brands give more smoke flavor? I've read some posts saying certain brands give no flavor but most of my favorite cooks want smoke! Which brand should I get?

Use whatever brand you like, and add wood chips/chunks for whatever smoke flavor you want. I like cherry or apple for pork, pecan for poultry, hickory for beef. You can better control smoke favors with wood than you can with lump.