I gave myself a large BGE and table for Christmas this year. I cook on it two times a week. I purchased my egg already assembled from my local dealer. I noticed that the gasket on my base was getting charred on the back of the egg.
I soon realized that the kids that put this together didn't line it up. I decided to fix that tonight. It took about two minutes to loosen, adjust, and tighten everything back down.
I then decided to go ahead and clean and clean out the entire inside. I took all of the lump out and the removed the fire ring, the fire box, and the fire grate. I always clean my vents prior to a cook, but there was still a decent amount of buildup on them that didn't just fall off. After removing everything I completely removed all of the ash and put it all back together. It took 15 minutes total.
I put my lump back in and lit it and wow. My egg got to temp in no time. I guess the buildup of ash in the vent holes and underneath was really hindering my air flow.
I normally leave my base door wide open and adjust my daisy wheel to adjust the temp, but tonight I had to almost close the base door and the daisy wheel in order to keep my temp from going too high.
I also discovered that the dealer had installed my fire grate upside down! I think I will clean mine at least once a month.
Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's