Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Induction HOB

My "coil" hot plate gave up the ghost after 20 years or so. Thinking of getting an induction high output burner, like the Max Burton 6200. Anyone have any experience with this unit or the 6000?

My SS clad cookware is induction friendly. Any advice or information is much appreciated. Thanks

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!

Comments

• Skiddy. I have a built in two burner and it is fantastic. Boils pasta water in a few minutes on high and can hold a hollandaise sauce at 85* on low.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• LS - Thanks I wanted an induction range when SWMBO was looking at ranges, I lost as usual, she got the glass topped piece of furniture. I'm sold on induction, saw some in Europe where energy costs are very high. Figured I might try a counter top unit. 
    What kind of built in do you have? Maybe I'll rearrange my bar counter. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • It's a Wolf two element. I have a gas range and wouldn't give it up for induction but it sure is nice to have.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Do you have a Wolf gas range?  We bought a Garland commercial range 25 years ago and looked at the Wolf but they were out of our price range.

Gerhard
  • Yes, I have the 48". My Dad bought one for me for my fiftieth birthday. We had a house fire and it was damaged during moving. That one had the griddle and grill combo. I replaced it with 4 burners and the French top.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gerhardk
    Our Garland has 4 burners and 1/3 size griddle, if we were to do it again I would just go with a 6 burner top.  When we first got it Cherie missed not having a broiler and we thought that we should have opted for a salamander, now we don't really miss the broiler.

Gerhard
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited February 2013
    Is it an industrial Garland? I really wanted to go with one but the fire supression stuff made it pricier than the Wolf

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gerhardk
    Yes it is.  You don't have to have fire suppression for the range, or at least you didn't in the late '80s, unless you had a deep frier.  There were minimum clearance standards to combustibles that had to be met but other than that it was a straight forward installation.  

Gerhard
  • You need a high pressure inert gas system now on industrials. Either Halon or Co2. Pretty much overkill and I don't know the technicalities but I know they require a ton of stuff.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Have had a Kenmore Induction cooktop for 7 years it is great, Only problem have a huge box of Calphalon down in the garage that I cannot use on it.
  • That is exactly why I would go full induction. That and cooking a stew or sauce over gas in the winter warms the house up better.

Steve 

Caledon, ON