Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Must Have Accessories

Options
I have a large BGE with basic setup including plate setter.  Family looking for my birthday gift and want suggestions.  I use my egg year round and pretty much weekly.  The lions share of use is for smoking .  What are your absolute must have accessories for your egg?  I'm looking real hard at the Looft Lighters, they seem pretty neat.  Thanks.
Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
Cobourg, Ontario

Comments

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    Do you have thermometers? If most of your cooking is low & slow I'd go with a Maverick 732, a thermapen if you need an instant read.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Thermometers, a stone for pizzas breads etc, someway to do multi tier cooks like adjustable rig from ceramicgrillstore or swing rack from ceramicgrillsworks
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    Hmmmmm, never thought of a Thermapen.  More I read on the Looft Lighter, the less inclined I want one.  Like the idea of adjustable racks too.  This could get dangerous soon:)  Thanks!!
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    I have the BGE three level grid, and like other manufacturer's it is a necessity for me, especially if you cook other sides with the main course.  And chicken high in the dome.  Or even multiple butts, i had seven on my large using the three tiered grid, by using only two grids.  Very handy.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Yes, it can and will get expensive but worth every penny. Thermapen gets used almost daily in my house. Pricey but worth it. Plenty of ways to light without LL.
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    Chubbs has a good point. 
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Must haves for me are B & R Combo from CGS, thermapen and maverick.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    Iron skillets are always useful. I'm sure everyone could use an extra.
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    Imo everything lol
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Ok here are my favorites and why.. This will get expensive quick, so figure out what you want to cook the most and go with that first. 

Multi-level cooks. I went with the Ceramic Grill Works Swing Rack and love it. It gives you plenty of room, works with the platesetter so you can do 3 racks of ribs and a turkey breast like I did yesterday. 

it is made from Carbon Steel so you can also get great grill marks when searing steaks. 
    You can do burgers and sweet potato fries at the same time. 
    And enough game day snacks to feel a small army
    Another fun thing to do on the big green egg is cook with a carbon steel Wok, to do that you would need a Spider from the Ceramic Grill Store. it centers the wok and allows you to get right above the fire. 

Lots of eggheads also use this and have a small cast iron grate to sear steaks down low by the fire. I can use my top rack of the swing rack to do this. 
    Another option is the Woo from Ceramic Grill Store it allows you to cook at a Raised Direct level which is great for spatchcock chicken, it keeps it away from the flame and gets your food at the gasket level to help use the dome of the egg to cook the top like a convection oven. I have the woo for my small egg and have yet to cook without it! Here is a spatchcock chicken on my small egg using the woo. 
    I use the woo for the wok on my small too, but i think the spider works better for the large. Here is some pineapple fried rice.
    They even make the pswoo that holds the platesetter for the large egg. 
    If you want to do low and slows and take a little stress away from managing you fire you could get a controller setup. I have the DigiQ Dx2 and a pit viper fan from BBQ Guru they now make a wifi one that you can monitor your pit and meat temp from any computer or even your phone. 
    imageimage
    The Looftlighter is great, i love mine. Remember you need access to electric close by or have to run an extension cord. just something to think about. 

A Super Peel is a very handy way of getting pizza from the counter to the egg without being on a timer and having dough stuck to the peel or counter. 
    A IR thermometer and pizza stone are also great Eggcessories
    You could always get a small egg and a eggCARTen to take with you wherever you go. 
    Having a hydration station close by is a necessity 
    As already said Thermapens are very useful, I also use mine to check water temps for tea and oil for frying. 
    Eggheads are always good at finding ways to spend other peoples money, just look what they have done to me! 

Good luck and if you have any questions about any of my gear I'll try and help answer them.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • AD18
    Options
    Wow Solson005 very impressive setup.  Greatly appreciate your advise.  He with the most toys wins, you will be tough to beat!!!  Thank you very much for your insight. 
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • Solson005
    Options
    Thanks, no problem.

Lots of options out there these are my favorite. Obviously i'm a gadget guy that likes to explain with pictures and links. I had a hard time justifying the expense of purchasing the big green egg and now have all this stuff. If I only knew how good the food would be I could have started my collection years ago. Its made having parties and hanging out in the backyard very enjoyable and last summer we even expanded the patio because of it. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Solson, so jealous of your patio... I want a flagstone patio so bad.
  • Solson005
    Options
    @Chubbs hopefully you won't have a huge tree fall on your house to make way for the patio like we did. All is good now though. 

Since you were originally asking for Birthday gift ideas to tell friends and family I'll toss out a couple options that are more on the inexpensive side of the things. But still fun to have and make great gift / gift ideas. 

A Paellera a really fun thing to do for a party and has a wow factor for presentation 

Anything Cast iron a dutch oven for cobbler or chili

a comal for tortillas, fajitas, or pancakes
    tortilla press if you make the tortillas
    Some sort of basket to do veggies in
    Silicone mat to make pizzas on 
    Drink dispenser (back to keeping the cook hydrated) this night was sangria
    Leg rack
    Ramekins for desserts
    Molcajete for spices or guacamole 
    Metal Spatula for taking pizza off the egg. 

Almost all of these were gifts or I found them on clearance in the winter and get regular use while cooking on the egg. 
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    If you don't have a Maverick ET-732, I would highly recommend it for the type of cooks you normally do. The ability to monitor both the grill and food temps remotely is life changing. No more trips outside to check on the grill. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • AD18
    Options
    I have a Maverick that has been used for years on all my grills/smokers and I live and die by the grate temperature probe cooking anything.  The Dutch ovens really caught my eye as well.  Have been eager for quite some time to try something such as beef stew, chili, whatever on the Egg with one.  I have LeCrueset stuff for in the house but they said NOT to put on a charcoal barbecue because it might mar the outside finish.  When you do your Dutch oven "stuff" lid on or off, smoke or no smoke?  
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • Solson005
    Options
    Some guys use Le Crueset and have no problems cleaning them up others like me just got a cheap one for the egg. Here is a post from december where lots of eggheads chime in Dutch Oven - Lodge vs. Le Creuset 

I use it both on and off, I wrapped a pork butt in banana leaves and made this with the lid off and it was fantastic Rick Bayless Cochinita Pibil 
  • krames
    krames Posts: 70
    Options
    Without a doubt, a High Cue grate. My egg starts up so much faster and I never run into problems with it coming up to temp! I seem to be able to reuse more of my lump as well.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Not sure I can Egg w/o my GridLifters from LawnRanger. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options

+1 on the thermapen. A thermapen (or similar) will be the best tool for increasing the quality of your cooks.

I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    A lot of good suggestions.  The only two things I use for every cook are the ash tool (stir the old coals and clear out the dust) and the 3rd hand grid lifter.  I also found that bigger S hooks for my eggmates make them far more useful for hanging things.  Next is the thermapen because most meats are cook to temp. 

After that it becomes situational and that's where my WOO2, stone, maverick, and CI grid all come into play.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.