Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Control

Options
I have a nano-q setup I bought from the BBQ Guru. Normaly my cooks are low temp, pork butts, ect. Here is something I have discovered to make my large egg hold temp like a kitchen oven. There is a gap between the cooking ring and the inside of the egg. I am talking about the ring that the plate setter sets on. Here is what I did, I stuffed that gap with extra heavy duty aluminum foil so that absolutely no air can pass through. All of the air must pass through the lump charcoal, period. Now I can start a SMALL fire in the center of the lump, put in the setter and drip pan, then the grill and the meat. Next set the nano-q for the desired temp, close the damper on the nano-q set up to about one fourth open. Be patient and let the nano-q do it's job. The best way to be patient is with a cooler of beer. When the temp reaches its goal, I use 210-220 degrees, it will hold it exactly untill it burns all the fuel. I have used a full load of charcoal and cooked a large boston butt for 22 hours and the temp never varied. The meat was falling apart when I removed it from the egg. Try this sometime. You will be amazed at how well it works!
San Angelo, texas

Comments