Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

First attempt at ribs - success!

So this weekend I filled up the BGE with 3 racks of baby back ribs - first time trying those since I got my Egg.  I was a bit nervous, as I had read a ton of horror stories, but they turned out great!  Followed Car Wash Mike's technique for the most part.  Rubbed the ribs and let em sit for about an hour, while I got the BGE to around 230-240.  I don't have a vertical rack yet, so I just used the plate setter to divert the heat.  Put all the ribs bone side down, with a few chunks of applewood on the coals.  After about 3-1/2 hours, I cranked the heat up to about 250-260 for another hour, then sauced them and let that cook for another 30 minutes.  Ribs turned out great!  Tender, not quite fall-off-the-bone, but I don't think that's a necessary criteria.  Tender and tasteful is the important stuff!
One thing I wan't happy with - the underside (bone side) ended up pretty much black...I don't know how I could have deflected the heat any different to prevent that - any ideas?  I do have a grid extender, but didn't figure that would help much with ribs...
Got a lot of input from the forum here - you guys are great, thanks!

Comments