Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

First attempt at ribs - success!

So this weekend I filled up the BGE with 3 racks of baby back ribs - first time trying those since I got my Egg.  I was a bit nervous, as I had read a ton of horror stories, but they turned out great!  Followed Car Wash Mike's technique for the most part.  Rubbed the ribs and let em sit for about an hour, while I got the BGE to around 230-240.  I don't have a vertical rack yet, so I just used the plate setter to divert the heat.  Put all the ribs bone side down, with a few chunks of applewood on the coals.  After about 3-1/2 hours, I cranked the heat up to about 250-260 for another hour, then sauced them and let that cook for another 30 minutes.  Ribs turned out great!  Tender, not quite fall-off-the-bone, but I don't think that's a necessary criteria.  Tender and tasteful is the important stuff!
One thing I wan't happy with - the underside (bone side) ended up pretty much black...I don't know how I could have deflected the heat any different to prevent that - any ideas?  I do have a grid extender, but didn't figure that would help much with ribs...
Got a lot of input from the forum here - you guys are great, thanks!

Comments