Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a great Labor Day and are excited for the start of the NFL this week. If you’re not a sports fan, you can celebrate National Breakfast Month all September and National Cheese Pizza Day on September 5. We can’t wait to share some awesome fall recipes with you all! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Cleaned The Inside of My Egg And Wow!

I gave myself a large BGE and table for Christmas this year. I cook on it two times a week.  I purchased my egg already assembled from my local dealer. I noticed that the gasket on my base was getting charred on the back of the egg. 

I soon realized that the kids that put this together didn't line it up. I decided to fix that tonight. It took about two minutes to loosen, adjust, and tighten everything back down.  

I then decided to go ahead and clean and clean out the entire inside. I took all of the lump out and the removed the fire ring, the fire box, and the fire grate. I always clean my vents prior to a cook, but there was still a decent amount of buildup on them that didn't just fall off. After removing everything I completely removed all of the ash and put it all back together. It took 15 minutes total. 

I put my lump back in and lit it and wow. My egg got to temp in no time. I guess the buildup of ash in the vent holes and underneath was really hindering my air flow. 

I normally leave my base door wide open and adjust my daisy wheel to adjust the temp, but tonight I had to almost close the base door and the daisy wheel in order to keep my temp from going too high.

I also discovered that the dealer had installed my fire grate upside down! I think I will clean mine at least once a month.
Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments