Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attempt at ribs - success!

Options
So this weekend I filled up the BGE with 3 racks of baby back ribs - first time trying those since I got my Egg.  I was a bit nervous, as I had read a ton of horror stories, but they turned out great!  Followed Car Wash Mike's technique for the most part.  Rubbed the ribs and let em sit for about an hour, while I got the BGE to around 230-240.  I don't have a vertical rack yet, so I just used the plate setter to divert the heat.  Put all the ribs bone side down, with a few chunks of applewood on the coals.  After about 3-1/2 hours, I cranked the heat up to about 250-260 for another hour, then sauced them and let that cook for another 30 minutes.  Ribs turned out great!  Tender, not quite fall-off-the-bone, but I don't think that's a necessary criteria.  Tender and tasteful is the important stuff!
One thing I wan't happy with - the underside (bone side) ended up pretty much black...I don't know how I could have deflected the heat any different to prevent that - any ideas?  I do have a grid extender, but didn't figure that would help much with ribs...
Got a lot of input from the forum here - you guys are great, thanks!
RIBS.jpg 386.6K

Comments

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Create more of a gap between your plate setter and grid. That stone gets as hot as the rest of your grill and will cook food as well. Also, for some of the cook you can put the meat side down to break it up.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• denverdenny
    Options
    cool - I'll give that a shot.  What is a good way to raise that grid up though?
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I myself use a drip pan below my ribs. I fill it with water. That keeps it cooler. Make sure to check the water in drip pan as you cook. My drip pan does not hang over the plate setter either so the water level is easier to maintain.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Great looking ribs - you nailed it!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Get some fire bricks and another grid, or get a setup from tom at theceramicgrillstore.com. Also check out ceramicgrillworks.com as franco makes some nice setups as well.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    For the sections of ribs that overhang the platesetter you can put foil under them to reduce the direct heat effect. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.