Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Cook #2, NY Strips!

So last Thursday (Valentines Day) I assembled the Large BGE and cooked Garfunkel Chicken - it turned out great.  In fact, since I cooked two chickens we had leftover chicken on Friday night.  The kids came home from college this weekend and they brought friends.  I decided to try NY strips on the egg. 

I bought 8 steaks, ranging from 1.5 - 2 inches thick, from Costco.  I pulled them out of the fridge an hour or two before I started the egg.  I was/am worried about destroying the gasket, even though I know it is probably inevitable.  So I fired the egg up and left the dome open for 30-45 minutes.  By this time the lump was roaring.

Right before I was ready to take the steaks to the egg I coated them with olive oil, kosher salt, ground pepper, and a little Montreal Steak Seasoning.   I was curious how hot the grate was so I decided to shut the dome and get a sense of the temp.  The dome gauge headed past 500 degrees pretty quickly so I opened it back up and put the steaks on.  I seared them for about 90 seconds on each side then took them off.

I throttled back the vents and and the egg almost immediately started cooling down.  I waited 5-10 minutes until the temp was about 350 degrees and I put the steaks back on for 4 mins per side.  I was shooting for 400 degrees but after loading the grill with 8 good sized steaks, I only got to around 350 degrees before my 4 mins was up.  I tuned the steaks and went for 4 minutes again. 

I checked the temps (thermapen) and they were around 110 degrees.  I left them another 5 mins, checked again and they were right at 120 degrees.  I took them off and they sat for 10 minutes before we sat down to eat.

The steaks were perfect.  A big hit, and my gasket survived!  I've got two cooks under my belt and am planning my cooks for this week already.  I am going to do burgers for sure, and I'd like to do a low-and-slow. 

So far I have been very impressed with the ability of the egg to respond to relatively small vent adjustments.  And the Thermapen takes a lot of the guesswork out of it - I love that thing.

Ringgold, Georgia

Comments