Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Cook #2, NY Strips!

So last Thursday (Valentines Day) I assembled the Large BGE and cooked Garfunkel Chicken - it turned out great.  In fact, since I cooked two chickens we had leftover chicken on Friday night.  The kids came home from college this weekend and they brought friends.  I decided to try NY strips on the egg. 

I bought 8 steaks, ranging from 1.5 - 2 inches thick, from Costco.  I pulled them out of the fridge an hour or two before I started the egg.  I was/am worried about destroying the gasket, even though I know it is probably inevitable.  So I fired the egg up and left the dome open for 30-45 minutes.  By this time the lump was roaring.

Right before I was ready to take the steaks to the egg I coated them with olive oil, kosher salt, ground pepper, and a little Montreal Steak Seasoning.   I was curious how hot the grate was so I decided to shut the dome and get a sense of the temp.  The dome gauge headed past 500 degrees pretty quickly so I opened it back up and put the steaks on.  I seared them for about 90 seconds on each side then took them off.

I throttled back the vents and and the egg almost immediately started cooling down.  I waited 5-10 minutes until the temp was about 350 degrees and I put the steaks back on for 4 mins per side.  I was shooting for 400 degrees but after loading the grill with 8 good sized steaks, I only got to around 350 degrees before my 4 mins was up.  I tuned the steaks and went for 4 minutes again. 

I checked the temps (thermapen) and they were around 110 degrees.  I left them another 5 mins, checked again and they were right at 120 degrees.  I took them off and they sat for 10 minutes before we sat down to eat.

The steaks were perfect.  A big hit, and my gasket survived!  I've got two cooks under my belt and am planning my cooks for this week already.  I am going to do burgers for sure, and I'd like to do a low-and-slow. 

So far I have been very impressed with the ability of the egg to respond to relatively small vent adjustments.  And the Thermapen takes a lot of the guesswork out of it - I love that thing.

Ringgold, Georgia

Comments