Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Setting Guide/Cheat Sheet

Options
Does anyone know where I might find a visual guide/cheat sheet to temperature control?  

Comments

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    edited February 2013
    Options

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/746823/x/p1

However, I seem to start with 1/4" to 1/2" vent and the dfmt slots open, and adjust from there as temp rises (or doesn't).  But - I'm fairly new to this.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I don't think the cold affects it like the wind. I've found charcoals burn very different so the settings will vary. I usually start with bottom/top open till around 50 degrees shy and start dialing. The 250 range is bottom and top slightly open with 350 being maybe 1 1/2 bottom and petals open....that's using Ozark Oak
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    the link LDR gave is a great starting place. there are a lot of factors you will have to learn for your egg, your climate, wind, temp and your lump.... the link is a great starting place and then go buy some cheap meat!

XLBGE 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Dude that link is a thread worthy of being a sticky.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Like @Henapple, I start with bottom vent all the way open and daisy wheel off for maximum airflow. Once the temp is 50 degrees or so under my target I start closing down the vents. After time, you will learn how to close them spot on for your target temp. Like @MrCookingNurse said, from here you may have to make minor tweaks to account for wind, different lump, etc but these are minor changes. Don't freak out and move them back and forth then you are temp chasing. If you are going for 250 and it is 260 or so just let it stay there. Relax and enjoy
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013