Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket - overnight

Picked up a 7.5lb flat and decided to put in on Saturday night for Sunday lunch.
Got the egg stabilized at 235 grid, hooked up the DigiQ DX, kept an eye on it for maybe a 1/2 hour and went to bed.

Got up at 6:00am Sunday to feed and let out the dogs.  Checked the DigiQ, holding rock solid at 235.  When back to bed.

Got up and 10:30 and went out to check on things.  Egg temp of 150!!  What the @#$% is going on!  Fan not running!
Internal brisket temp is 155.  Abort the egg, wrap in foil and set oven for 300.  After the DigiQ was in the house for about 10 minutes, plugged it in and it's working fine.  When I tipped the fan to the side, water poured out.  It was frozen!  

After maybe an hour, brisket hit 195.  Pulled it out and gave it the "probe test".  Still pretty tough.  Back into the oven until an internal of 205.  Test it with the probe again.  Nice.  Time to slice...  Oh, did I mention it was a little chilly last night, see picture below...

Packerland, Wisconsin

·

Comments

• Looks like the final result was good,
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • Looks like the final result was good,
    Turned out REALLY good, one of the better I can remember.  Proves there's many paths to a good brisket.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • Looks tasty man!

XLBGE 
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,361
    Good recovery. 

Is the fan toast, or did it survive the freeze?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
  • Man. Looks really good.
    Clanton, Al LBGE
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,520
    Way to adjust on the fly and salvage the cook.  Looks great.
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
    ·
  • Ragtop99 said:
    Good recovery. 

Fan seems to be OK.  Brought it inside, let the ice melt, drained out the water, started it up and it worked just fine.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • Ragtop99 said:
    Good recovery. 

Fan seems to be OK.  Brought it inside, let the ice melt, drained out the water, started it up and it worked just fine.
    how did the water get in the fan?
    Brandon, MS
    ·
  • Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448
    Dude, that'll eat.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,063
    Nice save. That brisket looks great. What therm are you using? Does it not have a low temp alarm?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,583
    Nice save! Looks delicious!
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,785
    edited February 2013
    caliking said:
    Nice save. That brisket looks great. What therm are you using? Does it not have a low temp alarm?
    The digiQ does have an alarm (if the temp deviates too far from the set temp) but I was sleeping as it beeped outside...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    Nice save indeed! =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • I turn my fan so that the large flat portion of the device is on the sides.  Maybe that would help water to not sit inside?
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

·
  • Wow. Good point. I always get moisture in the fan, and this never occurred to me of happening. It was -17 in Dalton this morning, and -1 in Markesan. I bet it could have frozen right up over here.
    Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber 22.5" One-Touch - Weber Smokey Joe
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,785
    edited February 2013
    hoofaloos said:
    I turn my fan so that the large flat portion of the device is on the sides.  Maybe that would help water to not sit inside?
    Yup, makes sense.  Moisture ends up in there every time I use it but this is the first time it froze up.  When my fan is in place, it actually angles downward which I'm sure makes it easy for the moisture to funnel down where the fan spins. Next time I plan to turn it sideways (or even upside down with the fan above). 
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·