Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold weather use of an Big Green Egg

I live in a cold climate (Vermont) where winter temps on the deck can be 0-20 degrees at the time when I want to cook. Obviously, the temps have an impact on my ability to attain or maintain temperatures. Has anyone tried wrapping their Egg in a space blanket or some other wrap to keep cold winds and temps from adversely impacting the Egg' s performance?

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I live in a more moderate area, Willamette Valley of Oregon.  However, I have not heard of eggers in much colder areas covering their eggs for performance.  I'm sure you'll hear from others about this. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    I have not had an issue with maintaining temperature, or getting the egg very hot for pizza in winter weather.  In fact I just pushed the snow off our egg this evening and it fires up and holds temp just like always.
  • What can I say, I'm in Atlanta
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • I have had no issues maintaining steady temps at cooks in -22 F or so.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    edited February 2013
    I too have cooked in -22f / -30c. weather and don't have issues cooking steaks at 700 or smoking for hours at a constant temp.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    29* and windy as we speak.  Ribs will be coming off in 10 minutes.  No temp control issues with the egg.  in fact cold weather BBQ is the best feature of the egg.  Is it easy to do good BBQ on a calm  summer day on my Weber, but winter options were limited to high heat grilling.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    It sounds to me as if you might just need to clean out the egg and possibly even take the fire box out to see if ash got between the box and the walls of the egg. Disrupted airflow is really the only detriment to achieving and maintaining temps. This is a huge sales point to the Egg in cold climates in fact. The heat loss through the ceramic Egg is minimal. There will be negligible heat up and cool down time differences.
  • What can I say, I'm in Atlanta

What he said. 40 is cold grilling in Mississippi, 0-20 we are all hiding indoors with milk and bread.

XLBGE 
  • I live in Wisconsin. No problems. The egg is much better than my other grills at maintaining temperature in cold weather. It does seem to take a little more oomph to start the fire when its cold but that's no big deal.
  • I cooked pizzas in below zero temps a few weeks ago in Alaska. Fried my gasket at roughly 950° but was easy to maintain 650°. Have done many slow & low overnights in both cold and >50 mph winds and held dome temps of 235° with no problem. This was the main reason for my purchase.
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I've cooked on mine all winter long and haven't had a problem.  It does take a while to get the egg up to temp because the ceramic is the same temp as the outside ambient temp.  Which has been on average of 15 degrees last few times I've used it.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• No noticeable difference running the egg in the winter versus the summer.  I do everything the exact same way...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited February 2013
    @chokeonsmoke

really? cause my vent settings are definitely different when it is hot outside as opposed to when it is cold outside. pretty sure thats to be understood. 

XLBGE 
  • I live in canada, where the average temp is -25C!!!!with out wind! ive never had a problem with temps!!

:-&
  • @chokeonsmoke

really? cause my vent settings are definitely different when it is hot outside as opposed to when it is cold outside. pretty sure thats to be understood. 
    Really don't.  But I guess I don't pay attention to EXACT vent settings.  I just have a good idea where 250, 400, etc are.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    One of the nice things about the Egg is that you can cook in any weather.  There are wind conditions that preclude a gas or kettle grill, but present no problem for the Egg. 
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
     °-20 no problem
  • YnT
    YnT Posts: 10
    I live at the Eastern side of Siberia Russia, -25C no exception: net problem!
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I don't have problems getting screaming hot or holding low in the cold, either, but like @MrCookingNurse my settings are a bit different.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Southern Ontario, Canada here.  Did steaks Saturday and ribs/chicken Sunday night with outside temperature hovering around 10F.  Maybe took a wee bit longer to get to temp, but not much.  I heard one trick once the person used a welders blanket to shield their egg.  Supposedly they have high temperature ratings and won't catch fire.   
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    @chokeonsmoke

Really don't.  But I guess I don't pay attention to EXACT vent settings.  I just have a good idea where 250, 400, etc are.
    Same.  I'm sure the difference on the bottom vent might be 1/8" more open at 250* on a very cold day compared to a hot summer day; just like on a windy day it might be 1/8" more closed than on a calm day.  I just work the vents down to where I know they are close and fine tune from there.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    edited February 2013
    @chokeonsmoke

I live in PA and also use differen't vent settings for winter vs summer.
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2013
    I just got my egg last October I hae only used it about 10 times before the cold Canadian winter hit. I am scared to use it in the dead of winter, heat and cold dont mix, or so I thought. Didnt want to crack it.
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216

@chokeonsmoke

Since cold air is denser, I would think that the vents would need to be shut down more in winter than in summer to achieve the same temperature.  Denser air has more oxygen per unit volume, thus you need less of it to (compared to warmer air) to maintain the combustion.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    tgkleman said:

@chokeonsmoke

Since cold air is denser, I would think that the vents would need to be shut down more in winter than in summer to achieve the same temperature.  Denser air has more oxygen per unit volume, thus you need less of it to (compared to warmer air) to maintain the combustion.
    true but to heat the thermal mass of the ceramic and maintain it at temp when your ambient is less you need a bigger fire to get it and keep it at temp.  
  • hondabbq said:
    I just got my egg last October I hae only used it about 10 times before the cold Canadian winter hit. I am scared to use it in the dead of winter, heat and cold dont mix, or so I thought. Didnt want to crack it.
    If the space shuttle's heat shields can handle the temps from space, enter into the earths atmosphere and go from 100* below 0 to 1000* above 0,  I don't think our cold Canadian Climate is gonna mean squat to the egg. They are made of the same material. Besides, you have a lifetime warranty if it does.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.