Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oysters on BGE?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any suggestions?

Comments

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Options
    Hi, Tony:
    Here are a couple things you can try. For both, use a fairly high heat, 500 degrees or so. Put your oysters on the grill unshucked, directly over the heat, cup-side down, which is important so the juices don't run out. After a few minutes, they'll begin to bubble and ooze, which is when you'll want to take them off. Some may open, but they won't behave like clams or mussels, so don't wait. Let them cool enough to handle, then shuck them (which will be much easier than when they're raw).[p]To finish: Butter, lemon, dill and garlic, and then a few minutes more on the grill for flavors to meld (a dab of bbq or plum sauce on top is nice).[p]Or: Give each a dab of wasabe and of plum sauce or hoisin, a little thinly-sliced green onion, and a drop of soy sauce or a sprinkle of sea salt.[p]Enjoy![p]Jim[p]P.S. In the absence of fancy condiments, Crystal hot sauce or Texas Champagne will more than suffice.

• tinman
    tinman Posts: 42
    Options
    Tony,
    I cook mine on open 1/2 shell, about 400 degrees. butter, lemon and garlic. cap with parmasean cheese (lots). when cheese melts together and seals oyster, I eat.

hope picture appears...

Jorge DSC03547.jpg
  • Wyldwood
    Wyldwood Posts: 84
    Options
    jim,
    That's the way we do them, but we like a little fresh lime instead of lemon, or anything else for that matter.

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Mornin' Tony,
    This is the oyster recipe we use most often.
    18 large oysters works well.
    Very good.
    Cheers,
    bruce

[ul][li]http://recipesource.com/munchies/appetizers/seafood/oysters-rockefeller3.html[/ul]
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Tony,
    I've only tried already-shucked oysters on the Egg. I drain them, and season with oil, lemon juice, hot sauce, and freshly ground pepper. Other herbs or spices you like could be added as well. Then I line a grid with rosemary sprigs (otherwise the slippery dudes would fall through), lay the oysters directly on the rosemary, and place the grid over a drip pan with some water. I don't let the Egg get too hot; like between 275-325. Check the oysters occasionally and when they're toasty brown, they're done. Nice and tender, nutty flavor, oh--they're so good. However, it's disappointing that they shrink up so much when cooking.
    Cheers,
    G.