Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket flat question

Options
I've noticed in some posts that the brisket once its taken off the egg and has completely cooked was wrapped in foil with some drip juices added and placed in a cooler for several hours. What is the reason for this? And won't you have to reheat to serve thus drying it out?
Charlotte, nc

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Lots do this if meat is done a good bit before time to eat. brisket can be a booger to cook so allowing ample time is key but could result in being done a few hours early hence the FTC. If eating right away, allow meat to rest before slicing.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    As Chubbs says, the FTC (foil, towels, cooler) gives you flexibility.  Good for any low&slow cook.  When trying to time dinner with a cook (brisket, pork butt, pulled beef etc) that can take from 10-20 hours depending on size of cook and cook temp you run the risk of coming up short (food not ready and everyone hungry).  Easiest way to mitigate that trap is to aim to finish a few hours early and if that's when it's ready, then FTC til ready to slice/pull whatever and eat.  You can hold any good sized hunk for several hours (4-6 easily) and then just serve and consume. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    There is no need to reheat as the cooler is being used as an insulated food container allowing the meat to stay hot hours.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Just like @Chubbs and @lousubcap said it allows you to finish cooking early and lets the juices redistribute especially with a flat brisket. Which can tend to be dry if left uncovered or sliced early. I usually only cook flat briskets, mainly because of price and availability where i live and have had very good results. Here is my method: Flat out Tasty

and here is the Naked Whiz's explanation on holding meat in a cooler.  It gives you exactly what you want to know and the reasoning behind it. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Rockosteel
    Options
    Thanks guys....what does FTC mean?
    Charlotte, nc