Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kid Rub

Over the past 1-1/2 years since obtaining our LBGE I've cooked on it 3-4 times a week and as a result have numerous wonderful new rubs, some from popular suppliers and the others home made. But, I have a wife and two young children who have no interest in 'spicy'. This has caused me to 'de-spice' a home made rub that has reached an acceptable level to them. The result is what I've labeled on the container as 'Kid Rub'. It is equal parts kosher salt and turbinado sugar, a quarter part or less garlic powder, and 'visual traces' of black pepper and some herbs (oregano mostly, and or thyme). Since reaching that point they want it on just about everything. I think what's made it popular with them, beyond just plain old salt anyway, is the sugar. The garlic powder is noticable but not in 'an Italian way'. Maybe some of you cook for a non-spicy crowd once in a while and already know this. Sugar and no spice and everything nice!  

Comments

• Thanks!! I will give that a shot!!
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited February 2013
    I think this thread can only be redeemed by you posting the spice rub recipe! similar to a post without pictures, this thread is lacking proof.

I de-spice my rubs too. My children don't do spicy either.
  • This is exactly my dilema with Wilma & my daughters.  If a rub has any and I mean any spiciness at all they act like I used a habenero based rub.  I'm going to give Kid Rub a try.  It sounds like an American Bad A$$!  I'll prolly use it All Summer Long!  Heh, heh, heh!
    Flint, Michigan
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Well, OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK, here goes.

The rubs I've made include the Kid Rub ingredients and variously black pepper, chili powder, paprika, cumin, mustard, red pepper or cayenne, onion powder, various herbs (bay leaf, sage, oregano, thyme, basil), corriander, lemon peel, and well, other stuff. 

The spice rubs bought and at times eschewed (aside from Bone Suckin' Sauce) are various Dizzy Pigs, Bad Byron's Butt Rub, a local restaurant's award winning jerk rub, some of the usual store-boughts (think Badia, Spice Islands, Tony what's his name, etc.), and some others. A few forum recipes like Mickey's coffee rub. And some marinades, though Italian dressing is universally acceptable.

Our usual cooks include boneless skinless chicken, spatchcock chicken, pork loin, pork tenderloin, beef chuck roast, and sometimes a turkey.

I'm convinced it's the sugar component that adds to what otherwise is basically salt that makes them happy! Everything else just gets in the way of that.

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    for the last two years we have been going to my local chilis! after awhile i started asking them for extra spice on my fries. well they started bringing it out in little plastic containers so i started taking it home. this went on for a couple months. we would go at least once a week. sometimes twice. needless to say i would end up with alot of thier little containers. we got to know all of the managers. they would always bring me the little containers. until one day i told the manager he would save alot of money on the spice and little containers if he would just tell me how to make it. so now i make it myself at home. keep it in a mason jar on the counter. i put it in almost everything. that i dont put on the grill. my GFdoes not do spicey so she dosen't mind the chilies seasoning on eggs, popcorn, i even put it in my dough when making ravioli or rather any fresh pasta i make. yours is kind of like it but i never came up with a name for it. sounds like you put alot of work into it.. i may give it a try when i run out of my current jar of seasoning!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Great idea to introduce those who prefer a non spicy rub to the world of more intense seasoning. 
    Our grandkids call all meat chicken, otherwise they just won't try it. When doing a spatchcock, I'd leave one breast with no seasoning, that was theirs. Lately we use just sugar and salt, which they mix and rub on the chicken, they do it and they like it. 
    Like @SteveWPBFL says, everything else just gets in the way of basic sugar and salt. We vary the sugar, brown (2 or 3 types) and good old white, they choose. Their chicken looks like what the big people are eating, with a taste made for little people. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
                  My Grands will eat this rub.  I have used it on just about everything.

--------  ------------  --------------------------------
         1/2  cup           Lawrys seasoned salt
       1 1/2  tsp           garlic powder
       2      Tbs           onion powder
       1      Tbs           dry mustard
       1      Tbs           ginger
         1/4  cup           kosher salt
       2      Tbs           Coarse black pepper

Omit or cut back on the pepper if the kids don't like it.
                       - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Along with simplifying rub to a Kid Rub level is the smoke, too. I use little or no smoke when cooking stuff for them. And I can tell you that about the time they transition from middle school to high school is about the time you can start spicing it up and by about the time they leave high school you can pretty much 'bring it' in terms of spicy and smoke!
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited February 2013
    A great store bought rub that is not spicy is Tasty Licks Burger Meister Blend. Not sweet, but no heat at all. It is fantastic on pork chops.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Some of the best non-spicy rub I've found. It's around $5/bottle. Sweet and savory.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    edited February 2013
    I guess due to our geography I've not had to deal with this phenomena... :))

My boy was eating the little new potatoes from the crawfish boil we had on his first birthday (those of you who have had a proper Southern Louisiana crawfish boil KNOW what I mean) so a normal rub with some pepper has never been a problem for us.

However, we do occasionally have foster children with us from time to time so I'll maybe give this a try for any spice averse kids we come across.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.