Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So what am I doing wrong?

Options
Did a large whole chicken tonight using a porcelain "beer can."  Did a rub, basted, etc.  Set up the egg with a plate setter, drip pan and temp (per my dual probe Maverick) at around 375-380 at grate and probably 325-350 on the dome thermometer.

I put the food probe vertically in the thickest part of the breast.  Cook to 155 and pull to rest.  Carve at around 165.  The breasts are perfect, but the legs and thighs are undercooked.  Probably by 20+ degrees.  Very pink, despite one leg having meet pull away from the bone.

With the breast being the meatiest part, I'm not sure what to do other than go by the thighs...and risk overcooking the rest of it.

So...what am I doing wrong?

Comments

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    Hello,
    I always go by the thigh, and I go to 160*. Even though the bird looks over cooked by the time it is done, under the skin lies nothing but juicy meat. I use a ps , 350 dome and the bird impaled (sp) on a turkey stand to get it high in the dome.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Little Steven does his inverted, gets the legs higher in the dome, more heat. Try it.
    My son does them that way on his gasser and it works well. 
    I cut my chickens into 6 pieces, 2 breast, 2 leg/thighs and two wings. Legs/thighs go on indirect at 400 first, 5 min later the breasts and 5 minutes later the wings. Lots of rub on everything, more surface to cover and smoke and it is almost already carved. Stumbled onto this trying to fit three spatchcocked birds on my medium BGE. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    Bird high (in the dome) and (measured) in the thigh.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • burr_baby33
    Options
    Cook to temp in the leg/thigh. Breast will still be fine.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Another option-let the chix warm a little then ice the breasts for around 20 minutes before cooking.  That way they are cooler and everything gets to the finish temp (160 breast/180+ in the legs) at around the same time.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • chris123stock
    Options
    +1on the ice, I always use that and works well the thighs and breast get to temp at the same time. I ice for about 30 mins.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Try cooking a Spatchcock chicken.  It seems to cook the breast and thighs correctly and they are done at the same time.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • sticks88
    sticks88 Posts: 94
    Options

Could the leg be pink from the smoke?

XL BGE and Pellet smoker