Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Legs????

I wanted something different tonight, so I threw a few turkey legs on just now. How long do you think they'll take indirect at 325 dome?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    about an hour... I cook them at 400 direct and a little under an hour
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Cook them to 180F.
    So how was your legs?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    They were good. I didn't get any replies until they were almost done, so I winged it. Turned out about like your recommendation. 350-400 indirect for about 45 minutes, with a handfule of apple and cherry chips thrown in. Removed the plattesetter and finished raised direct at 400 for a few minutes on each side to crisp up the skin. They were good. But, I think cooking turkey low and slow might break down some of the tendons and connective tissues and make them more enjoyable to eat. But,the meat was delicious...the texture was almost like ham. It was very good, and a nice change of pace. Thanks!
    Athens, GA
  • Mickey
    Now for the good turkey the non-turkey people seem to enjoy. Spatchcocked Turkey. Cooked direct, raised at 400. I like 12/13 lb birds and will toss on an extra package of legs to cook at the same time. I use coffee rub and cherry/pecan chips (very litte chips). THis is a good easy cook.

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    I cook turkey legs low and slow.  Usually around 275 for 3-4 hours.  Last time I wrapped hem in foil for the last hour.  They were very tender, lots of flavor.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge

• tnbarbq said:
    I cook turkey legs low and slow.  Usually around 275 for 3-4 hours.  Last time I wrapped hem in foil for the last hour.  They were very tender, lots of flavor.
    I'm guessing you were doing them indirect with a platesetter in place or was it just raised direct?  Were they skinless?  If not, how did the skin turn out?
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    This thread makes me think about Magic Kingdom, and peeps in wheelchairs wolfin down smoked turkey legs.  
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    Some friends of SWMBO and I have a weekly dinner party when Game of Thrones is on.  The new season starts at the end of March.  For the first party, they have already requested turkey legs.  Looks like I will be trying this soon.
  • Mickey
    Coffee Rub and Sweet Baby Rays (last 10 mins). Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Bad Byron's only about 20 min before done. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Ask and you shall receive. I mentioned to my local Publix meat manager that it sucks you can't find turkey leg quarters like you can with chicken. He replied that a case of fresh turkeys is 4 birds and asked it I'd buy all 8 quarters. He said he could piece out the breasts and sell them separately as fresh turkey breast. They'll be in next week. Score!!!!
    Athens, GA