Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shoulder for tomorrow

Options
AlbertaEgger
AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
I guess I will see this shoulder again in the morning, thanks for all the tips and feedback earlier from all.imageimageimageimageimage
County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• AlbertaEgger
    Options
    Dome is steady at 250, grid is sitting at 270, rum bottle is sitting at 1/4...image
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Does your dome normally read a lower temp than the grid temp? The reverse is usually the norm. If your pit probe is sticking out unprotected by the platesetter you are likely getting a high read from some direct heat. It is a good idea to position the probe above a leg of the platesetter. The way yours is set up I'd put it over the leg that is pointing towards the front of the Egg or attach it to your rib rack a couple of inches away from the meat.
    If you already have the probe in an indirect location, you might want to check your dome therm sometime for calibration and adjust it if necessary.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    I was waiting for that. I have placed the thermometer above plate setter, I was expecting a 20 deg diff the other way. It is the first time I have used it so I hope it is the new thermometer. I calibrated my egg about 4 cooks ago. I'm actually thinking I may need to re cal the egg thermometer before I hit the sac tonight????
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    I had the prob above the plate setter leg, i just moved it in a little more, and placed it slightly above drip pan. reading 245 now, dome still at 250. How much diff is ther normally, i was expecting 20? I was also trying to hold out on opening the lid for a peak. However, since i had to, i snuck a pic. image
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Early in the cook, I find the difference is usually 10-25 degrees higher in the dome but that gap usually closes as the cook goes on. I wouldn't mess with the Egg thermometer mid cook. The difference is not that big and the shoulder won't care regardless of which thermometer is right. They cook great in a wide range of temps and both of your temp readings are within that range.
    The pork is looking good so far. Get some sleep while you can.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    I think i have it now, dome 260, and grid 241, looks like that small move made the diff. 3 hours into the cook and meat is sitting at 133? does that sound about right? im not to sure how long a "stall" lasts at 160, but it feels like this is going to be done pretty early.  
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    133 3 hrs in sounds about normal to me. Don't be surprised if that internal temp moves like 5-10 degress over 3 hrs while in that stall. At some point you may even see the meat temp drop a few degrees. If it ends up done early you can always wrap it in foil, then towels (don't use nice towels, especially if you're married ;) ), and place in a cooler for a few hours if needed. I like to preheat the cooler with some nearly boiling water before pulling the pork off.

Bay Area, CA
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    sounds good, no, wife would let me close to the egg with good towels.
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    Sorry, "not" let me....
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looking good so far, and seems your right on track!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    All good info above-just be aware of the stall around 160*F+/- and you may get another in the high 180's.  Done when the bone pulls clean somewhere around 200*F+/-.  And here's tip I use with the dome thermo-I rotate it such that my target temp is at 12 o'clock.  That way all I have to do is eye-balll how close to vertical the needle is for any given cook temp.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    Soooo....? Cook did good all night, stayed at 250, however, 8:30 this morning my temp started dropping, looks like i have lots of lump left, it went from 240 grid to 170 in about 40 min. I have it wide open now trying to get the fire going good again. Question - should i add some fresh lump, and if so, should i leave the shoulder off till the new smoke burns off? Meat was at 180, dropped to 178...I did start with a clean fire box, and all fresh lump...
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    My mistake, looks like i was pretty much out of lump, lasted exactly 12 hours at 250, figured i would get more out of it. I had the fire box full.
  • R2Egg2Q
    edited February 2013
    Options
    That stinks that your lump ran out.

Options I'd consider in that event would be:
    -reload lump & fire it up as normal
    -double wrap in foil & finish it in the oven

What brand of lump did you use?

Bay Area, CA
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    I re loaded, I use BGE lump.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Sounds like you were chugging along just fine throughout the night. Weird on the lump. Shold have lasted way over 12 hours at 250.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• AlbertaEgger
    Options
    Yes, atleast I know for next time. She is sitting at 205 now. Going to FTC it soon and make some coleslaw...
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
  • onelikearock
    Options
    Looks great!
    Chesapeake, VA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    FYI-You can load the lump well up into the fire ring space (almost to the top of the ring) to ensure no refills on the low&slows.  As long as you have good air-flow then the BGE will run for quite some time especially for the low&slows.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    not the best at presentation, sorry about the pics, but it sure was good. imageimageimage
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    That's all that counts man!! Very nice cook
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Looks good! Nice recovery after running out of lump too.

Bay Area, CA
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options

Left overs, with sauce, Just going to bake for an hour or so...

imageimage