Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Hass Avocados

Options
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hass_avocado

This is fascinating.  My favorite type of avocado comes from a single mystery seed.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Interesting to say the least, thanks for sharing Doc. I thought all avocados were Hass, I just assumed Hass was the grower, not the strain or variety. Here in Canuckistan I don't recall seeing any other kind. 

Appears that many foods are the result of one offs, the MacIntosh apple is similar, I recall my Grandmother claiming it originated just down the road from her farm in Dundas County Ontario. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    It's interesting stuff, I took a college course called plants and civilization it covered a wide variety of how plants have been used by society throughout civilization. It covered everything from wormwood in absinthe, to grains for alcohol and even more. This is one of the random things i learned in there. If you were to take say apple seeds and plant them for a Macintosh you wouldn't have a Macintosh fruit, due to the way they pollinate. The only way to replicate is go make cuttings and growing of graphs. I assume its the same for avocado and the like.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Doc_Eggerton - come to think of it aren't bananas similar, i.e. they are clones of one variety? You have first hand knowledge as I recall. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    @Doc_Eggerton - come to think of it aren't bananas similar, i.e. they are clones of one variety? You have first hand knowledge as I recall. 
    The Spouse is the banana grower in our house, but banana's propagate like grass.  A clump grows from one plant, and we transplant by digging up a mother plant and putting it in the ground at a new spot.  We have also noticed that the sweet peppers in our garden eventually get spicier when they are planted next to the hot peppers.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Thanks for the share, Doc. Interesting read for sure.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    OT but - Went to lunch today at a new place and the appetizer was Avocado Egg Roles.
    I don't think I had ever had cooked avocado before but it was great,  Had nice spice and the avocado was so creamy!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • bvanma28
    Options
    If that's ur favorite, don't travel to Central America. You'll find yourself wondering what the hell that thing u bought for $1.50 is