Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

steak friday

Cooked up some venison steaks for dinner. Let them soak in a little bit of red wine and put some roasted garlic and pepper sauce on them. Grilled them at 500 for 2 min a side then let rest for 2 min as grill cooled down. Wasn't my best steak. Also cooked up some bacon wrapped mushroom caps. These turned out good. Did them indirect around 300 till bacon looked crispy.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Looks good
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Maybe not your best, but still looks good. A few years ago I discovered the Jaccard meat tenderizer. Don't know if you have one, but for venison, it works wonders on the texture. 
    It has been a couple of years since we've had venison, I no longer hunt. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Skiddymarker. I don't have one I have been thinking about getting one just wasn't sure if makes a big difference. I might have to get one and try it. Thanks
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2013
    @canegger, I have both the 15 and the 45 knife tenderizers. I was skeptical at first, but now do not know how I got along without one, or maybe two!
    For NY strips and sirloin used for kabobs, I use the 15 knife to just tenderize a bit. Friends have asked where we get our meat because they can't get over the tender texture. 

Rather than pound out cutlets, the 45 knife unit is ideal for pork and chicken. The 45 was the only unit I had when I last cooked any game. Works best on meat right out of the fridge, and always over a wooden surface. 

15 knife on the left, 45 on the right. (both have stainless slides)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    I'll have to get some and try it. Thanks. I'm interested in trying it and seeing how it tastes